Commodity prices, money and inflation
AbstractWe argue that long run and dynamic relationships should exist between commodity prices, consumer prices and money. Using a cointegrating VAR framework and US data, our empirical analysis shows equilibrium relationships existing between money, commodity prices and consumer prices, with both commodity and consumer prices proportional to the money supply in the long run. Persistence profiles reveal commodity prices initially overshooting their new equilibrium values in response to a money supply shock. We conclude that money has to be brought into analyses of the relationship between commodity prices and consumer prices.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economics and Business.
Volume (Year): 62 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jeconbus
Monetary policy Commodity prices Overshooting;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fuhrer, Jeff & Moore, George, 1992.
"Monetary policy rules and the indicator properties of asset prices,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 303-336, April.
- Jeff Fuhrer & George Moore, 1989. "Monetary policy rules and the indicator properties of asset prices," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 89, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Cody, Brian J & Mills, Leonard O, 1991. "The Role of Commodity Prices in Formulating Monetary Policy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 358-65, May.
- Samuel Reynard, 2007.
"Maintaining Low Inflation: Money, Interest Rates, and Policy Stance,"
2007-05, Swiss National Bank.
- Reynard, Samuel, 2007. "Maintaining low inflation: Money, interest rates, and policy stance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1441-1471, July.
- Reynard, Samuel, 2007. "Maintaining low inflation: money, interest rates, and policy stance," Working Paper Series 0756, European Central Bank.
- Hafer, R.W. & Jones, Garett, 2008. "Dynamic IS curves with and without money: An international comparison," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 609-616, June.
- Hafer, R.W. & Haslag, Joseph H. & Jones, Garett, 2007. "On money and output: Is money redundant?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(3), pages 945-954, April.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Garner, C Alan, 1989. "Commodity Prices: Policy Target or Information Variable? A Note," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 21(4), pages 508-14, November.
- Pecchenino, R. A., 1992. "Commodity prices and the CPI: Cointegration, information, and signal extraction," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 493-500, March.
- Ratti, Ronald A. & Vespignani, Joaquin L., 2013.
"Commodity Prices and BRIC and G3 Liquidity: A SFAVEC Approach,"
49324, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ratti, Ronald A & Vespignani, Joaquin L., 2013. "Commodity Prices and BRIC and G3 Liquidity: A SFAVEC Approach," Working Papers 17096, University of Tasmania, School of Economics and Finance, revised 09 Jan 2013.
- Ronald A. Ratti & Joaquin L. Vespignani, 2014. "Commodity Prices and BRIC and G3 Liquidity: A SFAVEC Approach," CAMA Working Papers 2014-13, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Ciner, Cetin, 2011. "Commodity prices and inflation: Testing in the frequency domain," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 229-237, September.
- Arouri, Mohamed El Hedi & Hammoudeh, Shawkat & Lahiani, Amine & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2012.
"Long memory and structural breaks in modeling the return and volatility dynamics of precious metals,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 207-218.
- Mohamed El Hedi Arouri & Shawkat Hammoudeh & Amine Lahiani & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2013. "Long memory and structural breaks in modeling the return and volatility dynamics of precious metals," Working Papers hal-00798033, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.