Regular and chaotic growth in a Hicksian floor/ceiling model
AbstractIn some previous papers the present authors reassembled the Hicksian trade cycle model in a new way. The floor was tied to depreciation on capital, itself the cumulative sum of past net investments, for which the principle of acceleration provided an explanation. Hence no alien elements were needed to include capital, and so close the system. The resulting model created a growth trend along with growth rate cycles, which could be periodic or quasiperiodic. In the current paper, the ceiling, using capital stock as a capacity limit for production, is added. It then turns out that pure growth no longer exists, and chaos and multistability become possible, which they were not in the previous model. A variety of bifurcation scenarios is explored, and a full understanding of the working of the four-piece, originally three-dimensional, piecewise smooth map, is attained, using a reduction to a one-dimensional return map.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
Volume (Year): 75 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Puu, Tonu, 2007. "The Hicksian trade cycle with floor and ceiling dependent on capital stock," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 575-592, February.
- Puu, Tonu & Gardini, Laura & Sushko, Irina, 2005. "A Hicksian multiplier-accelerator model with floor determined by capital stock," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 331-348, March.
- Gomes, Orlando, 2013.
"Information stickiness on general equilibrium and endogenous cycles,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 7(4), pages 1-43.
- Gomes, Orlando, 2012. "Information stickiness in general equilibrium and endogenous cycles," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-46, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ingrid Kubin & Laura Gardini, 2012.
" Border Collision Bifurcations in Boom and Bust Cycles,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
wuwp137, Vienna University of Economics, Department of Economics.
- Ingrid Kubin & Laura Gardini, 2013. "Border collision bifurcations in boom and bust cycles," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 811-829, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.