Chaotic dynamics in an overlapping generations model with myopic and adaptive expectations
AbstractIn this paper, we study dynamic behavior of an overlapping generations model under three different expectations: perfect foresight, myopic expectations and adaptive expectations. We show that economic transition under myopic or adaptive expectations is very different from that under perfect foresight. When agents are perfectly foresighted, dynamics is simple, with a unique steady state that is globally attracting. However, cycles and chaotic motion can appear under myopic and adaptive expectations. We study the possibility of Li-Yorke chaos under myopic expectations and entropic chaos under adaptive expectations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
Volume (Year): 67 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jebo
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de la Croix,David & Michel,Philippe, 2002.
"A Theory of Economic Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521001151, December.
- Grandmont, Jean-Michel, 1994.
"Expectations formation and stability of large socioeconomic systems,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Jean-Michel Grandmont, 1998. "Expectations Formation and Stability of Large Socioeconomic Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 741-782, July.
- Jean-Michel Grandmont, 1997. "Expectations Formation and Stability of Large Socioeconomic Systems," Working Papers 97-27, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- GRANDMONT, Jean-Michel, 1997. "Expectations formation and stability of large socioeconomic systems," CORE Discussion Papers 1997088, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel P. & de la Croix, D., 1999.
"Myopic and Perfect Foresight in the OLG Model,"
99a35, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Michel, Philippe & de la Croix, David, 1999. "Myopic and perfect foresight in the OLG model," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1999014, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Galor, Oded & Ryder, Harl E., 1989. "Existence, uniqueness, and stability of equilibrium in an overlapping-generations model with productive capital," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 360-375, December.
- Hommes, Cars H., 1994. "Dynamics of the cobweb model with adaptive expectations and nonlinear supply and demand," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 315-335, August.
- William A. Brock & Cars H. Hommes, 1997.
"A Rational Route to Randomness,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1059-1096, September.
- Carl Chiarella & Xue-Zhong He, 2001.
"Dynamics of Beliefs and Learning Under aL Processes - The Heterogeneous Case,"
Research Paper Series
55, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Chiarella, Carl & He, Xue-Zhong, 2003. "Dynamics of beliefs and learning under aL-processes -- the heterogeneous case," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 503-531, January.
- Benhabib, Jess & Day, Richard H., 1982. "A characterization of erratic dynamics in, the overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-55, November.
- Chiarella, Carl, 1988. "The cobweb model: Its instability and the onset of chaos," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 377-384, October.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Ronald Wendner, 2003. "Existence, uniqueness, and stability of equilibrium in an OLG economy," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 165-174, December.
- Michele Longo & Vincenzo Valori, 2001. "Existence and stability of equilibria in OLG models under adaptive expectations," Working Papers - Mathematical Economics 2001-01, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Gomes, Orlando, 2013.
"Information stickiness on general equilibrium and endogenous cycles,"
Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal,
Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 7(4), pages 1-43.
- Gomes, Orlando, 2012. "Information stickiness in general equilibrium and endogenous cycles," Economics Discussion Papers 2012-46, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "Complex equilibrium dynamics in a simple OLG model of neoclassical growth with endogenous retirement age and public pensions," MPRA Paper 23694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2011.
"Public health spending, old-age productivity and economic growth: Chaotic cycles under perfect foresight,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 137-151.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2011. "Public health spending, old-age productivity and economic growth: Chaotic cycles under perfect foresight," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 78(1-2), pages 137-151, April.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "Public health spending, old-age productivity and economic growth: chaotic cycles under perfect foresight," MPRA Paper 21335, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2012. "Public Expenditure on Health and Private Old-Age Insurance in an OLG Growth Model with Endogenous Fertility: Chaotic Dynamics Under Perfect Foresight," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(4), pages 333-353, December.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2013.
"Fertility-related pensions and cyclical instability,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 1209-1232, July.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "Fertility-related pensions and cyclical instability," MPRA Paper 20221, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.