Survey-Based Estimates of Biases in Consumer Price Indices during Transition: Evidence from Romania
AbstractMismeasurement of inflation is likely to be more severe in a transition economy than in a more stable environment. Comparisons of self-reported changes in economic welfare with changes in incomes suggest that official Romanian inflation measures may be overstated by between 100 and 300 percent at a reported annual inflation rate of 40 per cent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Comparative Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622864
Other versions of this item:
- Jan Hanousek & Randall K. Filer, 2001. "Survey-based Estimates of Biases in Consumer Price Indices During Transition: Evidence from Romania," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp178, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- C8 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs
- E3 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles
- P2 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Randall K. Filer & Jan Hanousek, 2001.
"Output Changes and Inflationary Bias in Transition,"
- Jan Hanousek & Randall K. Filer, 2000. "Output Changes and Inflationary Bias in Transition," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp167, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- John Gibson & Steven Stillman & Trinh Le, 2004.
"CPI Bias and Real Living Standards in Russia During the Transition,"
Working Papers in Economics, University of Waikato, Department of Economics
04/02, University of Waikato, Department of Economics.
- Gibson, John & Stillman, Steven & Le, Trinh, 2008. "CPI bias and real living standards in Russia during the transition," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 140-160, August.
- John Gibson & Steven Stillman, 2004. "CPI Bias and Real Living Standards in Russia During The Transition," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 504, Econometric Society.
- Jan Hanousek & Randall K. Filer, 2003. "Substitution Biases in Price Indexes during Transition," Development and Comp Systems 0306002, EconWPA.
- GarcÃa Solanes JosÃ©, 2008. "Real Exchange Rate Appreciation in Central and Eastern European Countries. Why the Balassa-Samuelson Effect Does Not Explain the Whole Story," Working Papers, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation 2010100, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation.
- Hanousek, Jan & Filer, Randall K, 2004.
"Consumers' Opinion of Inflation Bias Due to Quality Improvements,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 235-54, October.
- Jan Hanousek & Randall K. Filer, 2004. "Consumers' Opinion of Inflation Bias Due to Quality Improvements," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 2004-681, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jan Hanousek & Randall K. Filer, 2002. "Consumers' Opinion of Inflation Bias Due to Quality Improvements," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College, Hunter College Department of Economics 02/8, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Randall K. Filer & Jan Hanousek, 2002.
"Data Watch: Research Data from Transition Economies,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 225-240, Winter.
- Randall K. Filer & Jan Hanousek, 2001. "Data Watch: Research Data from Transition Economies," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 416, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- García-Solanes, José & Sancho-Portero, F. Israel & Torrejón-Flores, Fernando, 2008.
"Beyond the Balassa-Samuelson effect in some new member states of the European Union,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 17-32, March.
- José García-Solanes & Francisco I. Sancho-Portero & Fernando Torrejón-Flores, 2007. "Beyond the Salassa-Samuelson Effect in some New Member States of the European Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 1886, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jan Hanousek & Randall K. Filer, 2001. "Evaluating Imperfections and Biases in Price Indexes during Transition," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp186, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Filer, Randall K. & Hanousek, Jan, 2003. "Inflationary bias in middle to late transition Czech Republic," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 367-376, December.
- Martin Cincibuch & Jiri Podpiera, 2004.
"Beyond Balassa - Samuelson: Real Appreciation in Tradables in Transition Countries,"
Working Papers, Czech National Bank, Research Department
2004/09, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Martin Cincibuch & JiřÃ Podpiera, 2006. "Beyond Balassa-Samuelson: Real appreciation in tradables in transition countries," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(3), pages 547-573, 07.
- Svejnar, Jan, 2007. "China in Light of the Performance of Central and East European Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 2791, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- KovÃ¡cs, Ilona, 2003.
"A fogyasztÃ³i Ã¡rindex torzÃtÃ³ tÃ©nyezÅ‘i
[Distorting factors in the consumer price index]," KÃ¶zgazdasÃ¡gi Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), KÃ¶zgazdasÃ¡gi Szemle AlapÃtvÃ¡ny (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(7), pages 702-719.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.