Culture and personal values: How they influence perceived service quality
AbstractThis research analyzes the effects of culture and personal values on perceived service quality. Data on bank service quality are collected from 509 Canadian and 216 French users. The results confirm that power distance and uncertainty avoidance influence perceived service quality. Personal values such as self-fulfillment, self-respect, sense of accomplishment, and security also influence perceived service quality. The study findings show that the effects of personal values (micro-level variables) and culture (macro-level variable) on perceived service quality are distinct.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 64 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Culture Personal values Service quality;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ledden, Lesley & Kalafatis, Stavros P. & Samouel, Phillip, 2007. "The relationship between personal values and perceived value of education," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(9), pages 965-974, September.
- Aaker, Jennifer L, 2000. " Accessibility or Diagnosticity? Disentangling the Influence of Culture on Persuasion Processes and Attitudes," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(4), pages 340-57, March.
- Soares, Ana Maria & Farhangmehr, Minoo & Shoham, Aviv, 2007. "Hofstede's dimensions of culture in international marketing studies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 277-284, March.
- Aaker, Jennifer L., 2000. "Accessibility or Diagnosticity? Disentangling the Influence of Culture on Persuasion Processes and Attitudes," Research Papers 1579, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Zhang, Jingyun & Beatty, Sharon E. & Walsh, Gianfranco, 2008. "Review and future directions of cross-cultural consumer services research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 211-224, March.
- Ueltschy, Linda C. & Laroche, Michel & Tamilia, Robert D. & Yannopoulos, Peter, 2004. "Cross-cultural invariance of measures of satisfaction and service quality," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(8), pages 901-912, August.
- Ueltschy, Linda C. & Laroche, Michel & Zhang, Man & Cho, Hyuksoo & Yingwei, Ren, 2009. "Is there really an Asian connection? Professional service quality perceptions and customer satisfaction," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(10), pages 972-979, October.
- Davis, Lenita & Wang, Sijun & Lindridge, Andrew, 2008. "Culture influences on emotional responses to on-line store atmospheric cues," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(8), pages 806-812, August.
- Moon, Junyean & Chadee, Doren & Tikoo, Surinder, 2008. "Culture, product type, and price influences on consumer purchase intention to buy personalized products online," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 31-39, January.
- Sivadas, Eugene & Bruvold, Norman T. & Nelson, Michelle R., 2008. "A reduced version of the horizontal and vertical individualism and collectivism scale: A four-country assessment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 201-210, March.
- Witkowski, Terrence H. & Wolfinbarger, Mary F., 2002. "Comparative service quality: German and American ratings across service settings," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(11), pages 875-881, November.
- Kwok Leung & Rabi S Bhagat & Nancy R Buchan & Miriam Erez & Cristina B Gibson, 2005. "Culture and international business: recent advances and their implications for future research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(4), pages 357-378, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.