Co-creating brands: Diagnosing and designing the relationship experience
AbstractThe traditional goods-dominant logic of marketing is under challenge and leading researchers are now emphasizing the new service-dominant logic [Vargo, S.L., Lusch, R.F., Evolving to a new dominant logic for marketing. J Mark 2004; 68 (1): 1-17.]. One of the key foundational propositions of this logic is the customer as "always being a co-creator of value" where "the brand becomes the experience" [Prahalad, C.K., The co-creation of value. J Mark 2004; 68 (1): 23.]. In this paper, the authors examine the concept of brand relationship experience in the context of co-creation and service-dominant logic and outline a conceptual model for designing and managing the customer experience. Case study research illustrates how this model helps in the design and management of the brand relationship experience for an innovative new product.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Business Research.
Volume (Year): 62 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbusres
Co-creation Brand Experience Service-dominant logic Brand relationship experience;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin Lane Keller & Donald R. Lehmann, 2006. "Brands and Branding: Research Findings and Future Priorities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(6), pages 740-759, 11-12.
- Fuller, Johann & Jawecki, Gregor & Muhlbacher, Hans, 2007. "Innovation creation by online basketball communities," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 60-71, January.
- Kozinets, Robert V., 1999. "E-tribalized marketing?: the strategic implications of virtual communities of consumption," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 252-264, June.
- Holbrook, Morris B & Hirschman, Elizabeth C, 1982. " The Experiential Aspects of Consumption: Consumer Fantasies, Feelings, and Fun," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(2), pages 132-40, September.
- Muniz, Albert M, Jr & O'Guinn, Thomas C, 2001. " Brand Community," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(4), pages 412-32, March.
- Eric von Hippel, 1986. "Lead Users: A Source of Novel Product Concepts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(7), pages 791-805, July.
- Smit, Edith & Bronner, Fred & Tolboom, Maarten, 2007. "Brand relationship quality and its value for personal contact," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(6), pages 627-633, June.
- Keller, Kevin Lane, 2003. " Brand Synthesis: The Multidimensionality of Brand Knowledge," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(4), pages 595-600, March.
- Fournier, Susan, 1998. " Consumers and Their Brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(4), pages 343-73, March.
- Nambisan, Priya & Watt, James H., 2011. "Managing customer experiences in online product communities," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(8), pages 889-895, August.
- Tynan, Caroline & McKechnie, Sally & Chhuon, Celine, 2010. "Co-creating value for luxury brands," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(11), pages 1156-1163, November.
- Hu, Nan & Liu, Ling & Tripathy, Arindam & Yao, Lee J., 2011. "Value relevance of blog visibility," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 1361-1368.
- Tsai, Shu-pei, 2011. "Fostering international brand loyalty through committed and attached relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 521-534, October.
- da Silveira, Catherine & Lages, Carmen & Simões, Cláudia, 2013. "Reconceptualizing brand identity in a dynamic environment," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 28-36.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.