Dynamics of retail-bank branching in Antwerp (Belgium) 1991–2006: Evidence from micro-geographic data
AbstractWe exploit a comprehensive new panel dataset on retailbank branch locations in 233 neighborhoods (local markets) in the metropolitan area of Antwerp to describe (i) how between 1991 and 2006 the patterns of bank presence, entry, exit and choice deeply evolve and (ii) whether and how changes in these “on the ground” patterns systematically diverge across Antwerp’s different, highly segregated neighborhoods. We show that over the 15-year period under study entry and exit dynamics substantially intensify, the level change in branch desert grows significantly, and bank choice markedly declines; and that between 1996 and 2001, these changes are robustly associated with the neighborhood average income. In doing so, we advance a new technique for generating spatial measures that both minimize the discretization bias and can be reliably linked to neighborhoods. We demonstrate that the resulting measures are indeed more precise than traditional count measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 37 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
G21; L1; L22; O16; R12; Location; Retail-banking; Poverty; Spatial statistics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gilles Duranton & Henry G. Overman, 2005.
"Testing for Localization Using Micro-Geographic Data,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(4), pages 1077-1106.
- Duranton, Gilles & Overman, Henry G., 2002. "Testing for Localization Using Micro-Geographic Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 3379, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilles Duranton & Henry Overman, 2002. "Testing for Localisation Using Micro-Geographic Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp0540, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Duranton, Gilles & Henry G Overman, 2003. "Testing for Localisation Using Micro-Geographic Data," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003 69, Royal Economic Society.
- Evren Damar, H., 2007. "Does post-crisis restructuring decrease the availability of banking services? The case of Turkey," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2886-2905, September.
- Mullainathan, Sendhil & Bertrand, Marianne & Shafir, Eldar, 2006. "Behavioral Economics and Marketing in Aid of Decision Making Among the Poor," Scholarly Articles 2962609, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lisa M. George & Joel Waldfogel, 2006. "The New York Times and the Market for Local Newspapers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 435-447, March.
- Anselin, Luc & Bera, Anil K. & Florax, Raymond & Yoon, Mann J., 1996. "Simple diagnostic tests for spatial dependence," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 77-104, February.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S. & Tavakoli, Manouche, 2007. "European banking: An overview," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1911-1935, July.
- Eric Marcon & Florence Puech, 2003. "Evaluating the geographic concentration of industries using distance-based methods," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 3(4), pages 409-428, October.
- Anselin, Luc & Hudak, Sheri, 1992. "Spatial econometrics in practice : A review of software options," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 509-536, September.
- Hans Degryse & Luc Laeven & Steven Ongena, 2009.
"The Impact of Organizational Structure and Lending Technology on Banking Competition,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 13(2), pages 225-259.
- Degryse, H.A. & Laeven, L. & Ongena, S., 2006. "The Impact of Organizational Structure and Lending Technology on Banking Competition," Discussion Paper 2006-67, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, Hans & Laeven, Luc & Ongena, Steven, 2007. "The Impact of Organizational Structure and Lending Technology on Banking Competition," CEPR Discussion Papers 6412, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Degryse, H.A. & Laeven, L. & Ongena, S., 2007. "The Impact of Organizational Structure and Lending Technology on Banking Competition," Discussion Paper 2007-019, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- A Leyshon & N Thrift, 1996. "Financial exclusion and the shifting boundaries of the financial system," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 28(7), pages 1150-1156, July.
- Dick, Astrid A., 2008. "Demand estimation and consumer welfare in the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1661-1676, August.
- Thaler, Richard H, 1990. "Saving, Fungibility, and Mental Accounts," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 193-205, Winter.
- Astrid A. Dick, 2006. "Nationwide Branching and Its Impact on Market Structure, Quality, and Bank Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(2), pages 567-592, March.
- Avery, Robert B. & Bostic, Raphael W. & Calem, Paul S. & Canner, Glenn B., 1999. "Consolidation and bank branching patterns," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(2-4), pages 497-532, February.
- Ho, Katherine & Ishii, Joy, 2011. "Location and competition in retail banking," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 537-546, September.
- Joel Waldfogel, 2010. "Who Benefits Whom in the Neighborhood? Demographics and Retail Product Geography," NBER Chapters, in: Agglomeration Economics, pages 181-209 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.