AbstractOn May 29, 2008 the Wall Street Journal published an article alleging that several global banks were reporting Libor quotes significantly lower than those implied by prevailing credit default swap (CDS) spreads. While acknowledging that the “analysis doesn’t prove that banks are lying or manipulating Libor,” it nevertheless conjectures that these banks may “have been low-balling their borrowing rates to avoid looking desperate for cash.”
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 36 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Libor; Manipulations; Conspiracies; Collusion; Price-fixing; Bid-rigging; Credit default swap spreads;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C10 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- K20 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacob Gyntelberg & Philip Wooldridge, 2008. "Interbank rate fixings during the recent turmoil," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Abrantes-Metz, Rosa & Villas-Boas, Sofia B. & Judge, George G., 2013.
"Tracking the Libor Rate,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt2p33x7dk, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Ashton, John K. & Hudson, Robert S., 2008.
"Interest rate clustering in UK financial services markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1393-1403, July.
- John K. Ashton & Robert Hudson, 2006. "Interest Rate Clustering in UK Financial Services Markets," Working Papers 06-14, Centre for Competition Policy, University of East Anglia.
- Robert H. Porter & J. Douglas Zona, 1997.
"Ohio School Milk Markets: An Analysis of Bidding,"
NBER Working Papers
6037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abrantes-Metz, Rosa M. & Froeb, Luke M. & Geweke, John & Taylor, Christopher T., 2006. "A variance screen for collusion," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 467-486, May.
- Ahn, Sungyoon & Choi, Wooseok, 2009. "The role of bank monitoring in corporate governance: Evidence from borrowers' earnings management behavior," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 425-434, February.
- Christian Ewerhart & Nuno Cassola & Steen EJjerksov & Natacha Valla, .
"Manipulation in Money Markets,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
06-29, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Craig Pirrong, 2004. "Detecting Manipulation in Futures Markets: The Ferruzzi Soybean Episode," American Law and Economics Review, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 28-71.
- Patrick Bajari & Lixin Ye, 2001.
"Deciding Between Competition and Collusion,"
01008, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- George Judge & Laura Schechter, 2009. "Detecting Problems in Survey Data Using Benford’s Law," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 44(1).
- Miles Livingston & Robert E. Miller, 2000. "Investment Bank Reputation and the Underwriting of Nonconvertible Debt," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 29(2), Summer.
- Gorton, Gary, 1996. "Reputation Formation in Early Bank Note Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(2), pages 346-97, April.
- Flavius ROVINARU & Mihaela ROVINARU, 2014. "Investments And Development: Milestones Of Romania’S Evolution," Romanian Journal of Economics, Institute of National Economy, vol. 38(1(47)), pages 197-207, June.
- Juan Luis Jiménez & Jordi Perdiguero, 2011.
"Does Rigidity of Prices Hide Collusion?,"
IREA Working Papers
201120, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Oct 2011.
- Christoph Diehl, 2013. "The LIBOR mechanism and related games," Working Papers 482, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Muto, Ichiro, 2012. "A Simple Interest Rate Model with Unobserved Components: The Role of the Interbank Reference Rate," MPRA Paper 43220, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrea Monticini & Daniel L. Thornton, 2013.
"The effect of underreporting on LIBOR rates,"
2013-008, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Fukuda, Shin-ichi, 2012. "Market-specific and currency-specific risk during the global financial crisis: Evidence from the interbank markets in Tokyo and London," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3185-3196.
- Arnold, Marc & Schuette, Dustin & Wagner, Alexander, . "Pay Attention or Pay Extra: Evidence on the Compensation of Investors for the Implicit Credit Risk of Structured Products," Working Papers on Finance 1406, University of St. Gallen, School of Finance.
- Codruta Maria FAT & Simona MUTU, 2014. "Analyzing The Relationship Between Eonia And Eoniaswap Rates. A Cointegration Approach," Romanian Journal of Economics, Institute of National Economy, vol. 38(1(47)), pages 197-207, June.
- John Ashton & Andros Gregoriou & Jerome V. Healy, 2013. "The relative influence of price and choice factors on retail deposit quantities," Working Papers 13006, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.