Bank M&A: A market power story?
AbstractThis paper analyzes capital market reactions to international bank M&A. We investigate the combined stock return patterns of targets, bidders, and their peers upon takeover announcement, and closing or withdrawal. We distinguish five common M&A hypotheses and relate characteristic and mutually exclusive abnormal stock return patterns to each hypothesis. The findings show that there are more investors who believe in gains through the exploitation of market power by the post-merger entity than investors who believe in any of the other motives tested in the paper. In a multinomial logistic model we show that patterns related to market power significantly concur with large relative target size, intra-industry mergers, and increasing market concentration, suggesting a substantial lessening of competition through M&A.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 9 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
M&A Banks Event study Peer returns Market power;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N.Berger & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 2001.
"The Effects of Dynamic Changes in Bank Competition on the Supply of Small Business Credit,"
01-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Allen N. Berger & Lawrence G. Goldberg & Lawrence J. White, 2001. "The effects of dynamic changes in bank competition on the supply of small business credit," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2001-35, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, A.N. & Goldberg, L.G. & White, L.J., 2001. "The Effects of Dynamic Change in Bank Competition on the Supply of Small Business Credit," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 01-07, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Juan Fernández de Guevara & Joaquín Maudos & Francisco Pérez, 2005.
"Market Power in European Banking Sectors,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 109-137, April.
- Sudipto Bhattacharya & Manfred Plank & Josef Zechner & Gunter Strobl, 2000.
"Bank Capital Regulation With Random Audits,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp354, Financial Markets Group.
- Uhde, André & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2009.
"Consolidation in banking and financial stability in Europe: empirical evidence,"
IWQW Discussion Paper Series
02/2009, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Institut für Wirtschaftspolitik und Quantitative Wirtschaftsforschung (IWQW).
- Uhde, André & Heimeshoff, Ulrich, 2009. "Consolidation in banking and financial stability in Europe: Empirical evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1299-1311, July.
- Coccorese, Paolo, 2009. "Market power in local banking monopolies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1196-1210, July.
- Asquith, Paul, 1983. "Merger bids, uncertainty, and stockholder returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 51-83, April.
- Beck, Thorsten & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 2006.
"Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1581-1603, May.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Demirgüç-Kunt, A. & Levine, R., 2006. "Bank concentration, competition, and crises: First results," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125498, Tilburg University.
- Bradley, Michael & Desai, Anand & Kim, E. Han, 1983. "The rationale behind interfirm tender offers : Information or synergy?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 183-206, April.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Beverly Hirtle & Donald Morgan & Stavros Peristiani & João Santos, 2007. "Trends in financial market concentration and their implications for market stability," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Mar, pages 33-51.
- Dodd, Peter, 1980. "Merger proposals, management discretion and stockholder wealth," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 105-137, June.
- Stillman, Robert, 1983. "Examining antitrust policy towards horizontal mergers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 225-240, April.
- Houston, Joel F. & Ryngaert, Michael D., 1994. "The overall gains from large bank mergers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 1155-1176, December.
- Timothy H. Hannan & Steven J. Pilloff, 2009.
"Acquisition Targets and Motives in the Banking Industry,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(6), pages 1167-1187, 09.
- Timothy H. Hannan & Steven J. Pilloff, 2006. "Acquisition targets and motives in the banking industry," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-40, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Dodd, Peter & Ruback, Richard, 1977. "Tender offers and stockholder returns : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 351-373, December.
- Eckbo, B. Espen, 1983. "Horizontal mergers, collusion, and stockholder wealth," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 241-273, April.
- Hviid, Morten & Prendergast, Canice, 1993. "Merger Failure and Merger Profitability," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(4), pages 371-86, December.
- Song, Moon H. & Walkling, Ralph A., 2000. "Abnormal returns to rivals of acquisition targets: A test of the 'acquisition probability hypothesis'," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 143-171, February.
- Xeni Dassiou & Peter Holl, 1996. "Merger failure and merger profitability: an alternative to the Hviid and Prendergast model," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(4), pages 271-273.
- Barbara Casu & Claudia Girardone, 2006. "Bank Competition, Concentration And Efficiency In The Single European Market," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 74(4), pages 441-468, 07.
- Otchere, Isaac & Ip, Edwina, 2006. "Intra-industry effects of completed and cancelled cross border acquisitions in Australia: A test of the acquisition probability hypothesis," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 209-230, April.
- Chiang, Thomas C. & Zheng, Dazhi, 2010. "An empirical analysis of herd behavior in global stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1911-1921, August.
- Margsiri, Worawat & Melloy, Antonio S. & Ruckesz, Martin E., 2008. "A Dynamic Analysis of Growth via Acquisition," CEI Working Paper Series 2008-8, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Stulz, Rene M & Walkling, Ralph A & Song, Moon H, 1990. " The Distribution of Target Ownership and the Division of Gains in Successful Takeovers," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(3), pages 817-33, July.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Klemperer, Paul D, 1987. "Entry Deterrence in Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(388a), pages 99-117, Supplemen.
- Peter Holl & Xeni Dassiou & Dimitris Kyriazis, 1997. "Testing for Asymmetric Information Effects in Failed Mergers," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(2), pages 155-172.
- Worawat Margsiri & Antonio S. Mello & Martin E. Ruckes, 2008. "A Dynamic Analysis of Growth via Acquisition," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 12(4), pages 635-671.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Klemperer, Paul, 1987. "Markets with Consumer Switching Costs," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 375-94, May.
- Cybo-Ottone, Alberto & Murgia, Maurizio, 2000. "Mergers and shareholder wealth in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 831-859, June.
- Cornett, Marcia Millon & Tehranian, Hassan, 1992. "Changes in corporate performance associated with bank acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 211-234, April.
- Turk Ariss, Rima, 2010. "On the implications of market power in banking: Evidence from developing countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 765-775, April.
- Stulz, ReneM., 1988. "Managerial control of voting rights : Financing policies and the market for corporate control," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 25-54, January.
- Brito, Duarte, 2003. "Preemptive mergers under spatial competition," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1601-1622, December.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Paladino, Giovanna, 2013. "Is M&A different during a crisis? Evidence from the European banking sector," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5394-5405.
- Bozos, Konstantinos & Koutmos, Dimitrios & Song, Wei, 2013. "Beta risk and price synchronicity of bank acquirers’ common stock following merger announcements," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 47-58.
- Beltratti, Andrea & Paladino, Giovanna, 2011. "Is M&A different during a crisis? Evidence from the European banking sector," MPRA Paper 35065, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.