Competition, interlisting and market structure in options trading
AbstractThis paper applies a game theory approach to examine the effects of a market structure change in options trading from a monopoly to a Cournot-type oligopoly that occurred in two successive periods on the Montreal exchange. We analyze the intra-day behaviour of option bid-ask spreads and find that cross-listing has a differential impact on spreads, affecting quoted but not effective spreads under oligopoly. We also find that the impact of the change in structure on effective spreads comes mostly from an increase in limit orders and is consistent with a switch from Cournot to Bertrand-type strategic behaviour for such orders. We conclude that market structure effects within an options exchange are enough to realize most of the benefits of inter-market competition even in the context of market thinness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 35 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Contingent claims Market microstructure Interlisting Oligopoly games;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1988. "Trades, quotes, inventories, and information," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 229-252, December.
- Peijie Wang & Trefor Jones, 2005. "A different approach to estimating betas of securities subject to thin trading and serial correlation," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(16), pages 1145-1152.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Robert Brooks & Robert Faff & Tim Fry & E. Bissoondoyal-Bheenick, 2005. "Alternative beta risk estimators in cases of extreme thin trading: Canadian evidence," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(18), pages 1251-1258.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Merton H. Miller, 1989.
"Liquidity and Market Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
2641, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2005.
"Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches,"
NBER Working Papers
11280, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 2009. "Estimating Standard Errors in Finance Panel Data Sets: Comparing Approaches," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(1), pages 435-480, January.
- Stoll, Hans R. & Whaley, Robert E., 1990. "The Dynamics of Stock Index and Stock Index Futures Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(04), pages 441-468, December.
- Kryzanowski, Lawrence & Zhang, Hao, 2002. "Intraday Market Price Integration for Shares Cross-Listed Internationally," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(02), pages 243-269, June.
- Dumitrescu, Ariadna, 2010. "The strategic specialist and imperfect competition in a limit order market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 255-266, January.
- Fong, Kingsley Y.L. & Liu, Wai-Man, 2010. "Limit order revisions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1873-1885, August.
- Hans R. Stoll, 2000. "Presidential Address: Friction," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(4), pages 1479-1514, 08.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- repec:att:wimass:9220 is not listed on IDEAS
- Patrick De Fontnouvelle & Raymond P. H. Fishe & Jeffrey H. Harris, 2003. "The Behavior of Bid-Ask Spreads and Volume in Options Markets during the Competition for Listings in 1999," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2437-2464, December.
- Kenneth D. West & Whitney K. Newey, 1995.
"Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0144, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1994. "Automatic Lag Selection in Covariance Matrix Estimation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(4), pages 631-53, October.
- Frino, Alex & Gerace, Dionigi & Lepone, Andrew, 2008. "Liquidity in auction and specialist market structures: Evidence from the Italian bourse," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2581-2588, December.
- Bessembinder, Hendrik & Kaufman, Herbert M., 1997. "A Comparison of Trade Execution Costs for NYSE and NASDAQ-Listed Stocks," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(03), pages 287-310, September.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, January.
- Huang, Roger D. & Stoll, Hans R., 2001. "Tick Size, Bid-Ask Spreads, and Market Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(04), pages 503-522, December.
- Wei, Jason & Zheng, Jinguo, 2010. "Trading activity and bid-ask spreads of individual equity options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2897-2916, December.
- Boyle, Phelim P & Vorst, Ton, 1992. " Option Replication in Discrete Time with Transaction Costs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 271-93, March.
- Vijh, Anand M, 1990. " Liquidity of the CBOE Equity Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1157-79, September.
- Neal, Robert, 1987. " Potential Competition and Actual Competition in Equity Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 511-31, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.