Going private transactions, bondholder returns, and wealth transfer effects
AbstractWe examine how buyout activity and deal characteristics drive bondholder returns and the wealth transfer effects between bondholders and stockholders in going private transactions from 1981 to 2006. We find that various deal characteristics are major determinants of the cross-sectional variation in bondholder returns. In particular, a single private equity acquirer mitigates bondholder losses. On the other hand, bondholders have larger losses when a reputable buyout firm is involved in the deal. Bondholders experience losses in the 1980s and 2000s, but enjoy gains in the 1990s. Our findings remain robust to consideration of deal financing, relative cost of credit, and level of market overheating. We find a negative and significant relationship between stockholder and bondholder wealth effects, which supports the wealth transfer hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Bondholder wealth Buyouts Wealth transfer;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Strömberg, 2008.
"Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity,"
NBER Working Papers
14207, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Warga, Arthur & Welch, Ivo, 1993.
"Bondholder Losses in Leveraged Buyouts,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(4), pages 959-82.
- Asquith, Paul & Wizman, Thierry A., 1990. "Event risk, covenants, and bondholder returns in leveraged buyouts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 195-213, September.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Steven N. Kaplan, 2001. "Corporate Governance and Merger Activity in the U.S.: Making Sense of the 1980s and 1990s," NBER Working Papers 8220, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cao, Jerry & Lerner, Josh, 2009.
"The performance of reverse leveraged buyouts,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 139-157, February.
- Asquith, Paul, 1948- & Wizman, Thierry A., 1990. "Event risk, covenants, and bondholder returns in leveraged buyouts," Working papers WP 3173-90., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Victoria Ivashina & Anna Kovner, 2011. "The Private Equity Advantage: Leveraged Buyout Firms and Relationship Banking," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(7), pages 2462-2498.
- Elliott, William B. & Prevost, Andrew K. & Rao, Ramesh P., 2009. "The announcement impact of seasoned equity offerings on bondholder wealth," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1472-1480, August.
- Hite, Gailen L & Vetsuypens, Michael R, 1989. " Management Buyouts of Divisions and Shareholder Wealth," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 953-70, September.
- Douglas 0. Cook & John C. Easterwood & John D. Martin, 1992. "Bondholder Wealth Effects of Management Buyouts," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 21(1), Spring.
- Cumming, Douglas & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2007. "Private equity, leveraged buyouts and governance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 439-460, September.
- Billett, Matthew T. & Jiang, Zhan & Lie, Erik, 2010. "The effect of change-in-control covenants on takeovers: Evidence from leveraged buyouts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Ulf Axelson & Per Strömberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2009.
"Why Are Buyouts Levered? The Financial Structure of Private Equity Funds,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 64(4), pages 1549-1582, 08.
- Ulf Axelson & Per Stromberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2007. "Why are Buyouts Levered: The Financial Structure of Private Equity Funds," NBER Working Papers 12826, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Axelson, Ulf & Stromberg, Per & Weisbach, Michael S., 2008. "Why Are Buyouts Levered? The Financial Structure of Private Equity Funds," Working Paper Series 2008-15, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Axelson, Ulf & Strömberg, Per & Weisbach, Michael S., 2007. "Why are Buyouts Levered? The Financial Structure of Private Equity Funds," SIFR Research Report Series 49, Institute for Financial Research.
- Nikoskelainen, Erkki & Wright, Mike, 2007. "The impact of corporate governance mechanisms on value increase in leveraged buyouts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 511-537, September.
- Adams, John C. & Mansi, Sattar A., 2009. "CEO turnover and bondholder wealth," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 522-533, March.
- Mann, Steven V. & Powers, Eric A., 2007. "Determinants of bond tender premiums and the percentage tendered," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 547-566, March.
- Amir Sufi, 2007. "Information Asymmetry and Financing Arrangements: Evidence from Syndicated Loans," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 629-668, 04.
- Marais, Laurentius & Schipper, Katherine & Smith, Abbie, 1989. "Wealth effects of going private for senior securities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 155-191, June.
- King, Tao-Hsien Dolly & Wen, Min-Ming, 2011. "Shareholder governance, bondholder governance, and managerial risk-taking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 512-531, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.