CAPM and APT-like models with risk measures
AbstractThe paper deals with optimal portfolio choice problems when risk levels are given by coherent risk measures, expectation bounded risk measures or general deviations. Both static and dynamic pricing models may be involved. Unbounded problems are characterized by new notions such as (strong) compatibility between prices and risks. Surprisingly, the lack of bounded optimal risk and/or return levels arises for important pricing models (Black and Scholes) and risk measures (VaR, CVaR, absolute deviation, etc.). Bounded problems present a Market Price of Risk and generate a pair of benchmarks. From these benchmarks we introduce APT and CAPM-like analyses, in the sense that the level of correlation between every available security and some economic factors explains the security expected return. The risk level non correlated with these factors has no influence on any return, despite the fact that we are dealing with risk functions beyond the standard deviation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 6 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Risk measure Compatibility between prices and risks Efficient portfolio APT and CAPM-like models;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johnston, Mark, 2009. "Extending the Basel II approach to estimate capital requirements for equity investments," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(6), pages 1177-1185, June.
- David B. Brown & Melvyn Sim, 2009. "Satisficing Measures for Analysis of Risky Positions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 55(1), pages 71-84, January.
- Goovaerts, Marc J. & Kaas, Rob & Dhaene, Jan & Tang, Qihe, 2004. "Some new classes of consistent risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 505-516, June.
- Miller, Naomi & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 2008. "Risk-adjusted probability measures in portfolio optimization with coherent measures of risk," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 191(1), pages 193-206, November.
- Goovaerts, Marc J. & Laeven, Roger J.A., 2008. "Actuarial risk measures for financial derivative pricing," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 540-547, April.
- Barbarin, Jerome & Devolder, Pierre, 2005. "Risk measure and fair valuation of an investment guarantee in life insurance," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 297-323, October.
- Chen, Zhiping & Wang, Yi, 2008. "Two-sided coherent risk measures and their application in realistic portfolio optimization," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2667-2673, December.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Alexander Schied, 2007. "Optimal investments for risk- and ambiguity-averse preferences: a duality approach," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 107-129, January.
- R. Rockafellar & Stan Uryasev & Michael Zabarankin, 2006. "Generalized deviations in risk analysis," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 51-74, 01.
- Alexander, S. & Coleman, T.F. & Li, Y., 2006. "Minimizing CVaR and VaR for a portfolio of derivatives," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 583-605, February.
- Annaert, Jan & Osselaer, Sofieke Van & Verstraete, Bert, 2009. "Performance evaluation of portfolio insurance strategies using stochastic dominance criteria," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 272-280, February.
- Mahmoud Hamada & Michael Sherris, 2003. "Contingent claim pricing using probability distortion operators: methods from insurance risk pricing and their relationship to financial theory," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 19-47.
- W. Ogryczak & A. Ruszczynski, 1997.
"From Stochastic Dominance to Mean-Risk Models: Semideviations as Risk Measures,"
ir97027, International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis.
- Ogryczak, Wlodzimierz & Ruszczynski, Andrzej, 1999. "From stochastic dominance to mean-risk models: Semideviations as risk measures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 33-50, July.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stan & Zabarankin, Michael, 2006. "Master funds in portfolio analysis with general deviation measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 743-778, February.
- S. V. Stoyanov & S. T. Rachev & F. J. Fabozzi, 2007. "Optimal Financial Portfolios," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(5), pages 401-436.
- Jeremy Staum, 2004. "Fundamental Theorems of Asset Pricing for Good Deal Bounds," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 141-161.
- Balbás, Alejandro & Balbás, Raquel & Garrido, José, 2010. "Extending pricing rules with general risk functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(1), pages 23-33, February.
- Balbás, Alejandro & Balbás, Beatriz & Heras, Antonio, 2009. "Optimal reinsurance with general risk measures," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 374-384, June.
- Zakamouline, Valeri & Koekebakker, Steen, 2009. "Portfolio performance evaluation with generalized Sharpe ratios: Beyond the mean and variance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1242-1254, July.
- Hans Föllmer & Alexander Schied, 2002. "Convex measures of risk and trading constraints," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(4), pages 429-447.
- Quaranta, Anna Grazia & Zaffaroni, Alberto, 2008. "Robust optimization of conditional value at risk and portfolio selection," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2046-2056, October.
- Rockafellar, R. Tyrrell & Uryasev, Stan & Zabarankin, M., 2007. "Equilibrium with investors using a diversity of deviation measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 3251-3268, November.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Patrick Cheridito & Tianhui Li, 2009. "Risk Measures On Orlicz Hearts," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(2), pages 189-214.
- Pınar, Mustafa Ç., 2014. "Equilibrium in an ambiguity-averse mean–variance investors market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 237(3), pages 957-965.
- Briec, Walter & Kerstens, Kristiaan & Van de Woestyne, Ignace, 2013.
"Portfolio selection with skewness: A comparison of methods and a generalized one fund result,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 230(2), pages 412-421.
- Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens & Ignace Van de Woestyne, 2013. "Portfolio Selection with Skewness: A Comparison of Methods and a Generalized One Fund Result," Working Papers 2013-ECO-04, IESEG School of Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.