Bank loan recovery rates: Measuring and nonparametric density estimation
AbstractIn this paper we analyse a comprehensive database of 149,378 recovery rates on Italian bank loans. We investigate a new methodology to compute the recovery percentage that we suggest to consider as a mixed random variable. To estimate the probability density function of such a mixture, we propose the mixture of beta kernels estimator and we analyse its performance by Monte Carlo simulations. The application of these proposals to the Bank of Italy's data shows that, even if we remove the endpoints from the support of the recovery rate, the density function estimate is far from being a beta function.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 34 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Recovery rate Boundary problem Mixed random variable Mixture Beta kernel;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jarrow, Robert A. & Turnbull, Stuart M., 2000. "The intersection of market and credit risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 271-299, January.
- Grunert, Jens & Weber, Martin, 2009. "Recovery rates of commercial lending: Empirical evidence for German companies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 505-513, March.
- Jankowitsch, Rainer & Pullirsch, Rainer & Veza, Tanja, 2008. "The delivery option in credit default swaps," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1269-1285, July.
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Mamatzakis, Emmanuel, 2009. "Performance and Merton-type default risk of listed banks in the EU: A panel VAR approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2050-2061, November.
- Dermine, J. & de Carvalho, C. Neto, 2006. "Bank loan losses-given-default: A case study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1219-1243, April.
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999. "Beta kernel estimators for density functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-145, August.
- Stefano Caselli & Stefano Gatti & Francesca Querci, 2008. "The Sensitivity of the Loss Given Default Rate to Systematic Risk: New Empirical Evidence on Bank Loans," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 1-34, August.
- Thomas C. Wilson, 1998. "Portfolio credit risk," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 71-82.
- Olivier RENAULT & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003.
"On the Way to Recovery: A Nonparametric Bias Free Estimation of Recovery Rate Densities,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp83, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Renault, Olivier & Scaillet, Olivier, 2004. "On the way to recovery: A nonparametric bias free estimation of recovery rate densities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2915-2931, December.
- Altman, Edward I, 1989. " Measuring Corporate Bond Mortality and Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 909-22, September.
- Christian Gourieroux & Alain Monfort, 2006. "(Non) consistency of the Beta Kernel Estimator for Recovery Rate Distribution," Working Papers 2006-31, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Han, Chulwoo & Jang, Youngmin, 2013. "Effects of debt collection practices on loss given default," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 21-31.
- Hibbeln, Martin & Gürtler, Marc, 2011. "Pitfalls in modeling loss given default of bank loans," Working Papers IF35V1, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institute of Finance.
- Yulia Kotlyarova & Marcia M. A. Schafgans & Victoria Zinde‐Walsh, 2011.
"Adapting kernel estimation to uncertain smoothness,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
42015, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Yulia Kotlyarova & Marcia M Schafgans & Victoria Zinde-Walsh, 2011. "Adapting Kernel Estimation to Uncertain Smoothness," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series /2011/557, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Tong, Edward N.C. & Mues, Christophe & Thomas, Lyn, 2013. "A zero-adjusted gamma model for mortgage loan loss given default," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 548-562.
- Gürtler, Marc & Hibbeln, Martin, 2013. "Improvements in loss given default forecasts for bank loans," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2354-2366.
- Antonio Punzo & Alessandro Zini, 2012. "Discrete approximations of continuous and mixed measures on a compact interval," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 53(3), pages 563-575, August.
- Hartmann-Wendels, Thomas & Miller, Patrick & Töws, Eugen, 2014. "Loss given default for leasing: Parametric and nonparametric estimations," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 364-375.
- Konstantin Belyaev & Aelita Belyaeva & Tomas Konecny & Jakub Seidler & Martin Vojtek, 2012. "Macroeconomic Factors as Drivers of LGD Prediction: Empirical Evidence from the Czech Republic," Working Papers 2012/12, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Norden, Lars & van Kampen, Stefan, 2013. "Corporate leverage and the collateral channel," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5062-5072.
- Bastos, João A., 2010.
"Forecasting bank loans loss-given-default,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(10), pages 2510-2517, October.
- Raffaella Calabrese, 2011. "Cost-sensitive classification for rare events: an application to the credit rating model validation for SMEs," Working Papers 201134, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Luca Bagnato & Antonio Punzo, 2013. "Finite mixtures of unimodal beta and gamma densities and the $$k$$ -bumps algorithm," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 1571-1597, August.
- Raffaella Calabrese, 2012. "Estimating bank loans loss given default by generalized additive models," Working Papers 201224, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Song Li & Mervyn J. Silvapulle & Param Silvapulle & Xibin Zhang, 2012. "Bayesian Approaches to Non-parametric Estimation of Densities on the Unit Interval," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 3/12, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Raffaella Calabrese, 2012. "Regression Model for Proportions with Probability Masses at Zero and One," Working Papers 201209, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.