Regional growth and finance in Europe: Is there a quality effect of bank efficiency?
AbstractIn this study, we test whether regional growth in 11 European countries depends on financial development and suggest the use of cost- and profit-efficiency estimates as quality measures of financial institutions. Contrary to the usual quantitative proxies of financial development, the quality of financial institutions is measured in this study as the relative ability of banks to intermediate funds. An improvement in bank efficiency spurs five times more regional growth then an identical increase in credit does. More credit provided by efficient banks exerts an independent growth effect in addition to direct quantity and quality channel effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Bank performance Regional growth Bank efficiency Europe;
Other versions of this item:
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Koetter , Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2009. "Regional growth and finance in Europe: Is there a quality effect of bank efficiency?," Research Discussion Papers 13/2009, Bank of Finland.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- O16 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Financial Markets; Saving and Capital Investment; Corporate Finance and Governance
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ross Levine, 2004.
"Finance and Growth: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
10766, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lucchetti, Riccardo & Papi, Luca & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2001.
"Banks' Inefficiency and Economic Growth: A Micro-Macro Approach,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 48(4), pages 400-424, September.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Luca Papi & Alberto Zazzaro, 2001. "Banks´ Inefficiency and Economic Growth A Micro-Macro Approach," Development Working Papers 153, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Riccardo Lucchetti & Luca Papi & Alberto Zazzaro, 2000. "Banks' inefficiency and economic growth: a micro-macro approach," Heterogeneity and monetary policy 0004, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Ross Levine & Norman Loayza & Thorsten Beck, 2002.
"Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes,"
Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,
in: Leonardo Hernández & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (S (ed.), Banking, Financial Integration, and International Crises, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 2, pages 031-084
Central Bank of Chile.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 2000. "Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-77, August.
- Beck, T.H.L. & Levine, R. & Loayza, N., 2000. "Financial intermediation and growth: Causality and causes," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125519, Tilburg University.
- Levine, Ross & Loayza, Norman & Beck, Thorsten, 1999. "Financial intermediation and growth : Causality and causes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2059, The World Bank.
- Thorsten Beck & Ross Levine & Norman Loayza, 1999. "Financial Intermediation and Growth: Causality and Causes," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 56, Central Bank of Chile.
- Cetorelli, Nicola, 2004.
"Real Effects of Bank Competition,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(3), pages 543-58, June.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2002.
"Does Local Financial Development Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3307, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew J. Higgins & Daniel Levy & Andrew T. Young, 2006. "Growth and Convergence across the United States: Evidence from County-Level Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(4), pages 671-681, November.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods,"
Financial Services working paper
97-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Bauer, Paul W. & Berger, Allen N. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Humphrey, David B., 1998. "Consistency Conditions for Regulatory Analysis of Financial Institutions: A Comparison of Frontier Efficiency Methods," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 85-114, March.
- Paul W. Bauer & Allen N. Berger & Gary D. Ferrier & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Consistency conditions for regulatory analysis of financial institutions: a comparison of frontier efficiency methods," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-50, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Costas Megir & Danny Quah, 1996. "Regional Convergence Clusters Across Europe," CEP Discussion Papers dp0274, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- J.W.B. Bos & C.J.M. Kool, 2004.
"Bank Efficiency the Role of Bank Strategy and Local Market Conditions,"
DNB Working Papers
002, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Kool, C.J.M., 2006. "Bank efficiency: The role of bank strategy and local market conditions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1953-1974, July.
- John H. Boyd & Gianni De Nicolã, 2005. "The Theory of Bank Risk Taking and Competition Revisited," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(3), pages 1329-1343, 06.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Koetter, M., 2006.
"Handling losses in translog profit models,"
1433, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaap Bos & Michael Koetter, 2007. "Handling Losses in Translog Profit Models," Working Papers 07-17, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Bos, J.W.B. & Koetter, M., 2007. "Handling losses in translog profit models," Research Report 07001, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel , Paul & Zhou, Mingming, 2006.
"Institutional development, financial deepening and economic growth: Evidence from China,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
12/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul & Zhou, Mingming, 2009. "Institutional development, financial deepening and economic growth: Evidence from China," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 157-170, January.
- Pagano, Marco, 1993. "Financial markets and growth: An overview," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 613-622, April.
- Robert Marquez, 2002. "Competition, Adverse Selection, and Information Dispersion in the Banking Industry," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(3), pages 901-926.
- Koetter, Michael, 2005. "Measurement matters: Input price proxies and bank efficiency in Germany," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2005,01, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Marco Arnone & Bernard J Laurens & Jean-Fran�ois Segalotto & Martin Sommer, 2009.
"Central Bank Autonomy: Lessons from Global Trends,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 56(2), pages 263-296, June.
- Santiago Carbo Valverdie & David Humphrey & Francisco Rodriguez Fernandez, 2003. "Deregulation, Bank Competition and Regional Growth," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(3), pages 227-237.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Regional convergence clusters across Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 951-958, April.
- Islam, Nazrul, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-70, November.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 2004.
"Competition and financial stability,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 453-486.
- Quah, Danny, 1996. "Regional Convergence Clusters Across Europe," CEPR Discussion Papers 1286, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Phil Molyneux & Hong Liu & John O.S. Wilson, 2010.
"Competition and Stability in European Banking: A Regional Analysis,"
10019, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Hong Liu & Phil Molyneux & John O. S. Wilson, 2013. "Competition And Stability In European Banking: A Regional Analysis," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 81(2), pages 176-201, 03.
- Cândida Ferreira, 2012. "Bank market concentration and efficiency in the European Union: a panel granger causality approach," Working Papers 2012/03, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Claire Labonne, 2011. "More Bankers, More Growth? Evidence from OECD Countries," Working Papers 2011-22, CEPII research center.
- Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2005.
"Finance and growth in a bank-based economy: is it quantity or quality that matters?,"
Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies
2006,02, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Koetter, Michael & Wedow, Michael, 2010. "Finance and growth in a bank-based economy: Is it quantity or quality that matters?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1529-1545, December.
- Dovern, Jonas & Meier, Carsten-Patrick & Vilsmeier, Johannes, 2010.
"How resilient is the German banking system to macroeconomic shocks?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1839-1848, August.
- Jonas Dovern & Carsten-Patrick Meier & Johannes Vilsmeier, 2008. "How Resilient is the German Banking System to Macroeconomic Shocks?," Kiel Working Papers 1419, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Kendall, Jake, 2012.
"Local financial development and growth,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1548-1562.
- Benjamin M. Tabak & Dimas M. Fazio & Daniel O. Cajueiro, 2011. "Profit, Cost and Scale Efficiency for Latin American Banks: Concentration-Performance Relationship," Working Papers Series 244, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Cristian Barra & Sergio Destefanis & Giuseppe Lubrano Lavadera, 2013. "Regulation and the Crisis: The Efficiency of Italian Cooperative Banks," CSEF Working Papers 338, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Serafeim Tsoukas, 2012.
"Firm Survival and Financial Development: Evidence from a Panel of Emerging Asian Economies,"
142012, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Tsoukas, Serafeim, 2011. "Firm survival and financial development: Evidence from a panel of emerging Asian economies," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 1736-1752, July.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & De Renzis, Tania & Schmiedel, Heiko, 2013. "Retail payments and the real economy," Working Paper Series 1572, European Central Bank.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Versteeg, Roald, 2010.
"Project finance as a driver of economic growth in low-income countries,"
Review of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 49-59, April.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Versteeg, Roald, 2009. "Project Finance as a Driver of Economic Growth in Low-Income Countries," Research Memoranda 011, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- De Haas, Ralph & Ferreira, Daniel & Taci, Anita, 2010. "What determines the composition of banks' loan portfolios? Evidence from transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 388-398, February.
- Lozano-Vivas, Ana & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "The impact of non-traditional activities on the estimation of bank efficiency: International evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1436-1449, July.
- Ayadi, Rym & Arbak, Emrah & Ben-Naceur, Sami & De Groen, Willem Pieter, 2013. "Financial Development, Bank Efficiency and Economic Growth across the Mediterranean," CEPS Papers 7832, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Cândida Ferreira, 2012. "Bank efficiency, market concentration and economic growth in the European Union," Working Papers 2012/38, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.