Non-concavity problems in the dynamic macroeconomic models: A note
AbstractThis note provides a method to convert the dynamic models in Cysne [Cysne, Rubens P., 2006. A note on the non-convexity problem in some shopping-time and human-capital models. Journal of Banking and Finance 30 (10), 2737-2745] and in Cysne [Cysne, Rubens P., 2008. A note on "inflation and welfare". Journal of Banking and Finance 32 (9), 1984-1987] to concave optimization problems. We do this by introducing new control and state variables in the models. Cysne (2006, 2008) restrict attention to continuous time models and derive parametric conditions to use Arrow's sufficiency theorem. When the sufficient conditions presented in Cysne (2006) are satisfied (but not under the sharper sufficient conditions presented in Cysne (2008)) we can rewrite these models as concave optimization problems even if time is discrete.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 33 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Non-concavity Shopping-time model Human capital;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Huaxiong & Milevsky, Moshe A., 2008. "Portfolio choice and mortality-contingent claims: The general HARA case," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2444-2452, November.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha, 2006. "A note on the non-convexity problem in some shopping-time and human-capital models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(10), pages 2737-2745, October.
- Benhabib Jess & Perli Roberto, 1994. "Uniqueness and Indeterminacy: On the Dynamics of Endogenous Growth," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 113-142, June.
- Ladron-de-Guevara, Antonio & Ortigueira, Salvador & Santos, Manuel S, 1999.
"A Two-Sector Model of Endogenous Growth with Leisure,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 609-31, July.
- Antonio Ladron de Guevara & Salvador Ortigueira & Manuel Santos, 1995. "A Two-Sector Model of Endogenous Growth with Leisure," Working Papers 9503, Centro de Investigacion Economica, ITAM.
- Parente, Stephen L & Prescott, Edward C, 1994. "Barriers to Technology Adoption and Development," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(2), pages 298-321, April.
- Stein, Jerome L., 2007.
"United States current account deficits: A stochastic optimal control analysis,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1321-1350, May.
- Jerome L. Stein, 2006. "United States Current Account Deficits: A Stochastic Optimal Control Analysis," CESifo Working Paper Series 1805, CESifo Group Munich.
- Harutaka Takahashi, 2008. "Optimal balanced growth in a general multi-sector endogenous growth model with constant returns," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 31-49, October.
- Robert E. Lucas, Jr., 2000. "Inflation and Welfare," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 247-274, March.
- Hiraguchi, Ryoji, 2009. "A solution to the Lucas-Uzawa model with increasing returns to scale: Note," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 831-834, September.
- La Torre, Davide & Marsiglio, Simone, 2010. "Endogenous technological progress in a multi-sector growth model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1017-1028, September.
- Cysne, Rubens Penha & Turchick, David, 2009. "On the integrability of money-demand functions by the Sidrauski and the shopping-time models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1555-1562, September.
- Hiraguchi, Ryoji, 2009. "A note on the closed-form solution to the Lucas-Uzawa model with externality," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1757-1760, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.