Globalisation, growth and institutions
AbstractWe are currently in the second wave of globalisation. Despite the fact that over the past two decades a number of national financial and other barriers have been removed, there are still a number of national, regional and global factors that are slowing down the process of financial globalisation from trickling down to all parts of the world. This paper briefly discusses the process of globalisation and considers the human development index including education as a way of measuring economic growth and financial wealth in different parts of the world. The paper analyses the process of financial globalisation and the way some nations have become the recipients of more foreign capital than others. As a way of seeing the importance of both national and international economic and financial integration as important ingredients for sustained economic growth, the process of financial integration in Europe is analysed as a model for acceleration of the process of globalisation and sustained economic growth in this century. The 21st century is referred to as the Pacific century and hence financial integration in the Asia Pacific region (APEC) could create a new impetus for the EU to increase its internal integration including its fiscal policies as a way of remaining competitive in the global economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Banking & Finance.
Volume (Year): 32 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Leigh & Abdul Abiad & Ashoka Mody, 2007. "International Finance and Income Convergence," IMF Working Papers 07/64, International Monetary Fund.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2003. "Globalization and growth in emerging markets and the New Economy," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 505-524, July.
- Dirk Schoenmaker & Charles Goodhart, 2006. "Burden Sharing in a Banking Crisis in Europe," FMG Special Papers sp164, Financial Markets Group.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2007.
"Is Financial Globalization Beneficial?,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(2-3), pages 259-294, 03.
- Giannone, Domenico & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2006.
"Trends and cycles in the euro area: how much heterogeneity and should we worry about it?,"
Working Paper Series
0595, European Central Bank.
- Domenico Giannone & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2005. "Trends and cycles in the Euro Area: how much heterogeneity and should we worry about it?," Macroeconomics 0511016, EconWPA.
- Moshirian, Fariborz, 2007. "Global financial services and a global single currency," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 3-9, January.
- Moshirian, Fariborz, 2007. "Globalisation and the role of effective international institutions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1579-1593, June.
- Kose, M. Ayhan & Prasad, Eswar & Terrones, Marco E., 2007.
"How Does Financial Globalization Affect Risk Sharing? Patterns and Channels,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2903, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Marco Terrones & M. Ayhan Kose & Eswar Prasad, 2007. "How Does Financial Globalization Affect Risk Sharing? Patterns and Channels," IMF Working Papers 07/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Moshirian, Fariborz, 2004. "Elements of global financial stability," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4-5), pages 305-314.
- Eswar Prasad & Raghuram G. Rajan & Arvind Subramanian, 2006. "Patterns of international capital flows and their implications for economic development," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 119-158.
- M. Ayhan Kose & Kenneth Rogoff & Eswar Prasad & Shang-Jin Wei, 2003. "Effects of Financial Globalization on Developing Countries," IMF Occasional Papers 220, International Monetary Fund.
- Cappiello, Lorenzo & Gérard, Bruno & Kadareja, Arjan & Manganelli, Simone, 2006. "Financial integration of new EU Member States," Working Paper Series 0683, European Central Bank.
- Belke, Ansgar & Orth, Walter & Setzer, Ralph, 2010.
"Liquidity and the dynamic pattern of asset price adjustment: A global view,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1933-1945, August.
- Ansgar Belke & Walter Orth & Ralph Setzer, 2009. "Liquidity and the Dynamic Pattern of Asset Price Adjustment: A Global View," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 933, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Koutsomanoli-Filippaki, Anastasia & Mamatzakis, Emmanuel, 2009. "Performance and Merton-type default risk of listed banks in the EU: A panel VAR approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 2050-2061, November.
- Moshirian, Fariborz, 2009. "Can an Asia Pacific Community, similar to the European Community, emerge?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 2-8, January.
- Park, Cyn-Young & Mercado, Jr., Rogelio V., 2013. "Determinants of Financial Stress in Emerging Market Economies," ADB Economics Working Paper Series 356, Asian Development Bank.
- Kaya, Ilker & Lyubimov, Konstantin & Miletkov, Mihail, 2012. "To liberalize or not to liberalize: Political and economic determinants of financial liberalization," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 78-99.
- Umutlu, Mehmet & Akdeniz, Levent & Altay-Salih, Aslihan, 2010. "The degree of financial liberalization and aggregated stock-return volatility in emerging markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 509-521, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.