International relocation, the real exchange rate and effective demand
AbstractBy introducing an international relocation mechanism into a two-country model, we analyze the effects of an increase in the corporation tax in the richer country on employment and effective demand in both countries. This taxation policy proves to produce not only enterprise relocation, but also depreciation in the real exchange rate. The latter is also shown to dominate the former, such that rich-country employment and effective demand are stimulated. However, the two countries respond in opposing ways regarding enterprise relocation and real exchange rate adjustment. Consequently, employment and effective demand in the poor country will fall.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Japan and the World Economy.
Volume (Year): 21 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505557
Enterprise relocation Real exchange rate Effective demand Corporation tax;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yoshiyasu Ono & Kazuo Ogawa & Atsushi Yoshida, 2004. "The Liquidity Trap And Persistent Unemployment With Dynamic Optimizing Agents: Empirical Evidence," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 55(4), pages 355-371.
- Daisuke Matsuzaki, 2003. "The Effects of a Consumption Tax on Effective Demand under Stagnation," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 54(1), pages 101-118.
- Ethier, Wilfred J. & Markusen, James R., 1996.
"Multinational firms, technology diffusion and trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 1-28, August.
- Ethier, W.J. & Markusen, J.R., 1993. "Multinational Firms, Technology Diffusion and Trade," ISER Discussion Paper 0303, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Wilfred J. Ethier & James R. Markusen, 1991. "Multinational Firms, Technology Diffusion and Trade," NBER Working Papers 3825, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Wheeler, David & Mody, Ashoka, 1992. "International investment location decisions : The case of U.S. firms," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 57-76, August.
- Yoshiyasu Ono, 2006. "International Asymmetry In Business Activity And Appreciation Of A Stagnant Country'S Currency," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 57(1), pages 101-120.
- Guy V.G. Stevens & Robert E. Lipsey, 1988.
"Interactions between domestic and foreign investment,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
329, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Stevens, Guy V. G. & Lipsey, Robert E., 1992. "Interactions between domestic and foreign investment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 40-62, February.
- Robert E. Lipsey & Guy V.G. Stevens, 1992. "Interactions between Domestic and Foreign Investment," NBER Working Papers 2714, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grubert, Harry & Mutti, John, 1991. "Taxes, Tariffs and Transfer Pricing in Multinational Corporate Decision Making," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 285-93, May.
- Johdo, Wataru & Hashimoto, Ken-ichi, 2005. "International relocation, the real exchange rate and welfare," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(8), pages 1449-1469, August.
- "Fukao, Kyoji", 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Macroeconomics," Economic Review, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 48(3), pages 227-243, July.
- Ryu‐ichiro Murota & Yoshiyasu Ono, 2012.
"Zero Nominal Interest Rates, Unemployment, Excess Reserves And Deflation In A Liquidity Trap,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(2), pages 335-357, 05.
- Ryu-ichiro Murota & Yoshiyasu Ono, 2009. "Zero Nominal Interest Rates, Unemployment, Excess Reserves and Deflation in a Liquidity Trap," ISER Discussion Paper 0748, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.