A comparative analysis of productivity performance of the world's major airports: summary report of the ATRS global airport benchmarking research reportâ€”2002
AbstractThis paper compares productive efficiency for 50 major airports in Asia Pacific, Europe and North America by computing gross total factor productivity (TFP), further analysing TFP by regression models, and then computing â€˜residualâ€™ TFP after removing the effects of the factors largely beyond managerial control. The results reveal: larger airports are expected to achieve higher gross TFP because of the economies of scale in airport operations, not necessarily because they are more efficient than smaller airports; airports with a larger percentage of international traffic are expected to have lower gross TFP levels; an airport's ownership structure does not appear to have any statistically significant effect on its productivity performance; airports with higher passenger satisfaction level does not appear to have lower productivity; an airport that diversify and expand their non-aeronautical activities such as concessions and other commercial services are likely to achieve a higher TFP level; airports with capacity constraints are expected to have a higher TFP level although it will impose delays on aircraft and passengers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Air Transport Management.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-air-transport-management/
Productivity; Airport; Benchmarking;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Assaf, A. George & Josiassen, Alexander & Gillen, David, 2014. "Measuring firm performance: Bayesian estimates with good and bad outputs," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(6), pages 1249-1256.
- Schmidberger, Stephan & Bals, Lydia & Hartmann, Evi & Jahns, Christopher, 2009. "Ground handling services at European hub airports: Development of a performance measurement system for benchmarking," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(1), pages 104-116, January.
- Assaf, A. George & Gillen, David & Barros, Carlos, 2012. "Performance assessment of UK airports: Evidence from a Bayesian dynamic frontier model," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 603-615.
- Tapiador, Francisco J. & Mateos, Ana & MartÃ-Henneberg, Jordi, 2008. "The geographical efficiency of Spain's regional airports: A quantitative analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 205-212.
- Adler, Nicole & ÃœlkÃ¼, Tolga & Yazhemsky, Ekaterina, 2013. "Small regional airport sustainability: Lessons from benchmarking," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 22-31.
- Tovar, Beatriz & MartÃn-Cejas, Roberto Rendeiro, 2009. "Are outsourcing and non-aeronautical revenues important drivers in the efficiency of Spanish airports?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 217-220.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2012. "Bootstrapping the Malmquist indexes for Italian airports," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 403-411.
- Yuan, Xue-Ming & Low, Joyce M.W. & Ching Tang, Loon, 2010. "Roles of the airport and logistics services on the economic outcomes of an air cargo supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 215-225, October.
- Oum, Tae H. & Yan, Jia & Yu, Chunyan, 2008. "Ownership forms matter for airport efficiency: A stochastic frontier investigation of worldwide airports," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 422-435, September.
- Chi-Lok, Andrew Yuen & Zhang, Anming, 2009. "Effects of competition and policy changes on Chinese airport productivity: An empirical investigation," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 166-174.
- Bergamini, Elisabetta & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2006. "The performance of Italian airports," MPRA Paper 35790, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vogel, Hans-Arthur & Graham, Anne, 2013. "Devising airport groupings for financial benchmarking," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 32-38.
- Juan Martín & Concepción Román, 2006. "A Benchmarking Analysis of Spanish Commercial Airports. A Comparison Between SMOP and DEA Ranking Methods," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 111-134, June.
- Oum, Tae H. & Adler, Nicole & Yu, Chunyan, 2006. "Privatization, corporatization, ownership forms and their effects on the performance of the world's major airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 109-121.
- Curi, Claudia & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2011. "New evidence on the efficiency of Italian airports: A bootstrapped DEA analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 84-93, June.
- De Nicola, Arianna & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2013. "Airport quality and productivity changes: A Malmquist index decomposition assessment," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 67-75.
- Elton Fernandes & Ricardo Pacheco, 2010. "A quality approach to airport management," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 551-564, April.
- Martín, Juan Carlos & Rodríguez-Déniz, Héctor & Voltes-Dorta, Augusto, 2013. "Determinants of airport cost flexibility in a context of economic recession," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 57(C), pages 70-84.
- Chao, Ching-Cheng & Yu, Po-Cheng, 2013. "Quantitative evaluation model of air cargo competitiveness and comparative analysis of major Asia-Pacific airports," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 318-326.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2009. "Productivity change in Italian airports," MPRA Paper 34367, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2010. "Airport efficiency: a DEA two stage analysis of the Italian commercial airports," MPRA Paper 34366, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Oct 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.