Airport governance reform: a strategic management perspective
AbstractReform of airport governance structures through corporatization, privatization and other approaches to commercialization is intended to attain a number benefits for air transport system stakeholders. While reformers often want managers to bring a commercial and strategic orientation to the operation of an airport they often create regulatory and governance structures that inhibit such an approach. This paper shows how different modes of governance tend to create trade-offs between stakeholder outcomes. It is suggested that different governance modes embody constraints and incentives that determines the type and quantity of managerial and financial resources that private sector agents will bring to the operation of airports. Additionally, the effectiveness of particular governance modes depends upon national institutional context.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Air Transport Management.
Volume (Year): 9 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-air-transport-management/
Airport management; Corporate governance; International airports; Stakeholders;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lyon, David & Francis, Graham, 2006. "Managing New Zealand's airports in the face of commercial challenges," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 220-226.
- Alda Metrass Mendes & Richard de Neufville & Ãlvaro Costa, 2011. "Air Accessibility In Northern Canada: Prospects And Lessons For Remoter Communities," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1647, European Regional Science Association.
- Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2010. "Airport efficiency: a DEA two stage analysis of the Italian commercial airports," MPRA Paper 34366, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 10 Oct 2010.
- Oum, Tae H. & Adler, Nicole & Yu, Chunyan, 2006. "Privatization, corporatization, ownership forms and their effects on the performance of the world's major airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 109-121.
- Curi, Claudia & Gitto, Simone & Mancuso, Paolo, 2011. "New evidence on the efficiency of Italian airports: A bootstrapped DEA analysis," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 84-93, June.
- Daniel Albalate & Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2012. "“Beyond pure public and pure private management models: Mixed firms in the European Airport Industry”," IREA Working Papers 201221, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Dec 2012.
- Torres, E. & DomÃnguez, J.S. & ValdÃ©s, L. & Aza, R., 2005. "Passenger waiting time in an airport and expenditure carried out in the commercial area," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(6), pages 363-367.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.