Biased forecasts or biased earnings? The role of reported earnings in explaining apparent bias and over/underreaction in analysts' earnings forecasts
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Accounting and Economics.
Volume (Year): 36 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1-3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jae
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elgers, Pieter & Murray, Dennis, 1992. "The relative and complementary performance of analyst and security-price-based measures of expected earnings," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2-3), pages 303-316, August.
- Lin, Hsiou-wei & McNichols, Maureen F., 1998. "Underwriting relationships, analysts' earnings forecasts and investment recommendations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 101-127, February.
- Chan, Louis K C & Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Lakonishok, Josef, 1996. " Momentum Strategies," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1681-1713, December.
- Degeorge, Francois & Patel, Jayendu & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1999.
"Earnings Management to Exceed Thresholds,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(1), pages 1-33, January.
- McNichols, Maureen F., 2000. "Research design issues in earnings management studies," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(4-5), pages 313-345.
- Gu, Zhaoyang & Wu, Joanna Shuang, 2003. "Earnings skewness and analyst forecast bias," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 5-29, April.
- Kothari, S. P., 2001. "Capital markets research in accounting," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-3), pages 105-231, September.
- John C. Easterwood & Stacey R. Nutt, 1999. "Inefficiency in Analysts' Earnings Forecasts: Systematic Misreaction or Systematic Optimism?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1777-1797, October.
- Terence Lim, 2001. "Rationality and Analysts' Forecast Bias," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 369-385, 02.
- Michael P. Keane & David E. Runkle, 1998. "Are Financial Analysts' Forecasts of Corporate Profits Rational?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(4), pages 768-805, August.
- Klein, April, 1990. "A direct test of the cognitive bias theory of share price reversals," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 155-166, July.
- De Bondt, Werner F M & Thaler, Richard H, 1990. "Do Security Analysts Overreact?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 52-57, May.
- Canace, Thomas G. & Caylor, Marcus L. & Johnson, Peter M. & Lopez, Thomas J., 2010. "The effect of Regulation Fair Disclosure on expectations management: International evidence," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(5), pages 403-423, September.
- Vahid Biglari Author_Email: firstname.lastname@example.org & Gurcharan Singh Pritam Singh, 2011. "The Effect Of Market Incentives On Analyst Forecast Management And Analyst Forecast Error," 2nd International Conference on Business and Economic Research (2nd ICBER 2011) Proceeding 2011-215, Conference Master Resources.
- Takuya Iwasaki & Norio Kitagawa & Akinobu Shuto, 2013. "Managerial Discretion over Their Initial Earnings Forecasts," Discussion Paper Series DP2013-31, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Iatridis, George, 2010. "International Financial Reporting Standards and the quality of financial statement information," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 193-204, June.
- repec:lan:wpaper:1351 is not listed on IDEAS
- François Aubert, Gary Grudnitski, 2012. "Analysts' estimates: What they could be telling us about the impact of IFRS on earnings manipulation in Europe Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to examine whether mandatory adoption of Interna," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 53-72, February.
- Ramnath, Sundaresh & Rock, Steve & Shane, Philip, 2008. "The financial analyst forecasting literature: A taxonomy with suggestions for further research," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 34-75.
- Jorgensen, Bjorn & Li, Jing & Sadka, Gil, 2012. "Earnings dispersion and aggregate stock returns," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-20.
- Gu, Zhaoyang & Xue, Jian, 2008. "The superiority and disciplining role of independent analysts," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2-3), pages 289-316, August.
- Mark A. Clatworthy & David A. Peel & Peter F. Pope, 2012.
"Are Analysts' Loss Functions Asymmetric?,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 31(8), pages 736-756, December.
- George Iatridis, Panayotis Alexakis, 2012. "Evidence of voluntary accounting disclosures in the Athens Stock Market Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to explore the motives for providing voluntary accounting disclosures and investigate t," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 73-92, February.
- Ahmed, Anwer S. & Nainar, S.M. Khalid & Zhang, X. Frank, 2006. "Further evidence on analyst and investor misweighting of prior period cash flows and accruals," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 51-74.
- M A Clatworthy & D Peel & P F Pope, 2006. "Are analystsâ€™ loss functions asymmetric?," Working Papers 574591, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Michael Lacina & Byung Ro, 2013. "Market implied future earnings and analysts’ forecasts," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 295-341, August.
- Xiaotong Wang & Heng-fu Zou, 2008. "Stock Return Dynamics under Earnings Management," CEMA Working Papers 331, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- ABOSEDE, A. J. & OSENI, Jimoh Ezekiel, 2011. "Theoretical Analysis Of Firm And Market-Specific Proxies Of Information Asymmetry On Equity Prices In The Stock Markets," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 1(4), pages 10, June.
- Deniz Igan & Marcelo Pinheiro, 2012. "Incentive to manipulate earnings and its connection to analysts’ forecasts, trading, and corporate governance," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 36(4), pages 781-821, October.
- Iatridis, George & Valahi, Styliani, 2010. "Voluntary IAS 1 accounting disclosures prior to official IAS adoption: An empirical investigation of UK firms," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Mustafa Ciftci & Raj Mashruwala & Dan Weiss, . "Implications of Cost Behavior for Analysts’ Earnings Forecasts," Accounting Working Papers 17-03/2014, School of Business Administration, American University of Sharjah.
- Sheng, Xuguang & Thevenot, Maya, 2012. "A new measure of earnings forecast uncertainty," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 21-33.
- Hiu Lam Choy, 2012. "Assessing earnings management flexibility," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(4), pages 340-376.
- So, Eric C., 2013. "A new approach to predicting analyst forecast errors: Do investors overweight analyst forecasts?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 108(3), pages 615-640.
- Doyle, Jeffrey T. & Jennings, Jared N. & Soliman, Mark T., 2013. "Do managers define non-GAAP earnings to meet or beat analyst forecasts?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 40-56.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.