Competition authority independence, antitrust effectiveness, and institutions
AbstractThis paper investigates the relationships among the competition authority's independence, antitrust effectiveness, and institutions. The evidence suggests that the authority's effectiveness is empirically associated with the independence. However, it is the de facto and not de jure independence that matters for antitrust effectiveness. Besides, the de facto independence is the main mediating channel through which the institutions influence antitrust effectiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Law and Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/irle
Antitrust effectiveness Independence Institutions;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 2002.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1193-1229, November.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 2001. "Legal Origins," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1920, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Andrei Shleifer, 2001. "Legal Origins," NBER Working Papers 8272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joan-Ramon Borrell & Mara Tolosa, 2005.
"Endogenous Antitrust: Cross-Country Evidence on the Impact of Competition-Enhancing Policies on Productivity,"
- Joan-Ramon Borrell & Mara Tolosa, 2008. "Endogenous antitrust: cross-country evidence on the impact of competition-enhancing policies on productivity," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(11), pages 827-831.
- Hoekman Bernard & Kee Hiau Looi & Olarreaga Marcelo, 2004. "Tariffs, Entry Regulation and Markups: Country Size Matters," The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-24, September.
- Stefan Voigt, 2009. "The Effects of Competition Policy on Development�-�Cross-Country Evidence Using Four New Indicators," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 45(8), pages 1225-1248.
- Michael W Nicholson, 2007. "The Impact of Industry Characteristics and IPR Policy on Foreign Direct Investment," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 143(1), pages 27-54, April.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 1999.
"The Quality of Government,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 15(1), pages 222-79, April.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Government," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1847, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert Vishny, 1998. "The Quality of Goverment," NBER Working Papers 6727, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Hall, 1988.
"The Relation Between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry,"
NBER Working Papers
1785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E, 1988. "The Relation between Price and Marginal Cost in U.S. Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 921-47, October.
- Angrist, Joshua D & Krueger, Alan B, 1991.
"Does Compulsory School Attendance Affect Schooling and Earnings?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 979-1014, November.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Alan B. Krueger, 1990. "Does Compulsory School Attendance Affect Schooling and Earnings?," NBER Working Papers 3572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daron Acemoglu & Simon Johnson & James Robinson & Yunyong Thaicharoen, 2002.
"Institutional Causes, Macroeconomic Symptoms: Volatility, Crises and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
9124, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James & Thaicharoen, Yunyong, 2003. "Institutional causes, macroeconomic symptoms: volatility, crises and growth," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 49-123, January.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Johnson, Simon & Robinson, James A & Thaicharoen, Yunyong, 2002. "Institutional Causes, Macroeconomic Symptoms: Volatility, Crises and Growth," CEPR Discussion Papers 3575, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Azariadis, Costas & Drazen, Allan, 1990. "Threshold Externalities in Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(2), pages 501-26, May.
- Olley, G Steven & Pakes, Ariel, 1996. "The Dynamics of Productivity in the Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(6), pages 1263-97, November.
- Franz Kronthaler, 2007. "Effectiveness of Competition Law: A Panel Data Analysis," IWH Discussion Papers 7, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Alex Cukierman, 1992. "Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, and Independence: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031981, June.
- Krakowski, Michael, 2005. "Competition Policy Works: The Effect of Competition Policy on the Intensity of Competition - An International Cross-Country Comparison," HWWA Discussion Papers 332, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Joan Ramón Borrell & Juan Luís Jiménez & Carmen García, 2012. "Evaluating antitrust leniency programs," Working Papers XREAP2012-01, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jan 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.