Country location choices of service multinationals: An empirical study of the international hotel sector
AbstractThis article examines international country location choices for equity investment undertaken by global hotel chains. Why do certain host countries attract more hotel investment than others? A second underlying issue that we tackle in this article is whether the traditional foreign direct investment determinants used in past studies on manufacturing also apply to services--or whether service sector-specific determinants are better explanatory variables for understanding the distribution of service foreign direct investment across countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Management.
Volume (Year): 5 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Wilson, 1994. "Tourism Earnings Instability in Singapore, 1972-88," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 21(1), pages 41-51, January.
- Goldberg, Lawrence G. & Johnson, Denise, 1990. "The determinants of US banking activity abroad," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 123-137, June.
- Grubaugh, Stephen G, 1987. "Determinants of Direct Foreign Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(1), pages 149-52, February.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness: Errata," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1203, December.
- Ralph M Gaedeke, 1973. "Selected U.S. Multinational Service Firms in Perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 4(1), pages 61-66, March.
- J H Dunning & G Norman, 1987. "The location choice of offices of international companies," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(5), pages 613-631, May.
- Jamuna Agarwal, 1980. "Determinants of foreign direct investment: A survey," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(4), pages 739-773, December.
- Goldberg, Lawrence G. & Saunders, Anthony, 1981. "The determinants of foreign banking activity in the United States," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 17-32, March.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 355-74, June.
- Esfahani, Hadi Salehi, 1991. "Exports, imports, and economic growth in semi-industrialized countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 93-116, January.
- Culem, Claudy G., 1988. "The locational determinants of direct investments among industrialized countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 885-904, April.
- Horst, Thomas, 1972. "Firm and Industry Determinants of the Decision to Invest Abroad: An Empirical Study," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 258-66, August.
- Chang, Cheng-Chang & Chen, Ju-Long, 2012. "A foreign expansion model with multi-site locations in service industries," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 102-109.
- Saroja Selvanathan & Selvanathan & Brinda Viswanathan, 2009. "Causality between Foreign Direct Investment and Tourism: Empirical Evidence from India," Working Papers 2009-046, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Wetzels,Martin & Ruyter,Ko,de & Patterson,Paul G. & Pauwels,Pieter, 2003. "The Propensity To Continue Service Internationalization - A Model Of Planned Behavior," Research Memorandum 052, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.