Managing international business operations in a changing institutional context: The case of the St. Petersburg hotel industry
AbstractThis article advances the institutional view of business strategy by analyzing the post-socialist institutional transition in Russia and its implications for business strategies in the St. Petersburg hotel industry. The development of the institutional context is divided into three periods: socialist, early transition and late transition. The strategies of foreign hotel enterprises characteristic of each period are investigated with respect to entry/ownership mode, product, supply and human resource management strategies, and sales and marketing. The study is based on 24 semi-structured interviews with hotel managers, and a variety of local archival sources. The analysis shows how tightly companies are integrated with the formal and informal macro- and industry-level institutional context of Russia. In the case of the hotel industry, the impact of the change in the institutional context from a centrally planned to a market economy centers on the connections of the hotel enterprise with public and private sector actors. Here, empirical analysis shows that first, the degree of integration varied between the three time periods examined, second, many relevant institutional effects are observed at industry level, and third, foreign and local enterprises differ especially during the period of rapid institutional change.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Management.
Volume (Year): 14 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/601266/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carl F Fey & Ingmar Bj�rkman, 2001. "The Effect of Human Resource Management Practices on MNC Subsidiary Performance in Russia," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(1), pages 59-75, March.
- McCarthy, Daniel J. & Puffer, Sheila M., 1997. "Strategic investment flexibility for MNE success in Russia: Evolving beyond entry modes," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 293-319, January.
- Shekshnia, Stanislav, 1998. "Western multinationals' human resource practices in Russia," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 460-465, August.
- Klaus E Meyer, 2001. "Institutions, Transaction Costs, and Entry Mode Choice in Eastern Europe," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(2), pages 357-367, June.
- Pettigrew, Andrew M., 1997. "What is a processual analysis?," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 337-348, December.
- Klaus E Meyer & Mike W Peng, 2005. "Probing theoretically into Central and Eastern Europe: transactions, resources, and institutions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 36(6), pages 600-621, November.
- Kontorovich, Vladimir, 1999. "Has new business creation in russia come to a halt?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 14(5-6), pages 451-460.
- Bevan, Alan & Estrin, Saul & Meyer, Klaus, 2004. "Foreign investment location and institutional development in transition economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 43-64, February.
- Puffer, Sheila M. & McCarthy, Daniel J. & Zhuplev, Anafoly V., 1996. "Meeting of the mindsets in a changing Russia," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 52-60.
- J R Brown & C S Dev & Z Zhou, 2003. "Broadening the foreign market entry mode decision: separating ownership and control," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(5), pages 473-488, September.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Gelbuda, Modestas & Meyer, Klaus E. & Delios, Andrew, 2008. "International business and institutional development in Central and Eastern Europe," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 1-11, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.