Functional clustering and linear regression for peak load forecasting
AbstractIn this paper we consider the problem of short-term peak load forecasting using past heating demand data in a district-heating system. Our data-set consists of four separate periods, with 198 days in each period and 24 hourly observations in each day. We can detect both an intra-daily seasonality and a seasonality effect within each period. We take advantage of the functional nature of the data-set and propose a forecasting methodology based on functional statistics. In particular, we use a functional clustering procedure to classify the daily load curves. Then, on the basis of the groups obtained, we define a family of functional linear regression models. To make forecasts we assign new load curves to clusters, applying a functional discriminant analysis. Finally, we evaluate the performance of the proposed approach in comparison with some classical models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 26 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijforecast
Short-term forecasting Out-of-sample Load curve Seasonality Functional regression Functional clustering Functional linear discriminant analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V. Dordonnat & S.J. Koopman & M. Ooms & A. Dessertaine & J. Collet, 2008.
"An Hourly Periodic State Space Model for Modelling French National Electricity Load,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
08-008/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Dordonnat, V. & Koopman, S.J. & Ooms, M. & Dessertaine, A. & Collet, J., 2008. "An hourly periodic state space model for modelling French national electricity load," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 566-587.
- Cardot, Hervé & Ferraty, Frédéric & Sarda, Pascal, 1999. "Functional linear model," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 11-22, October.
- Ashish Sood & Gareth M. James & Gerard J. Tellis, 2009. "Functional Regression: A New Model for Predicting Market Penetration of New Products," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 28(1), pages 36-51, 01-02.
- Kargin, V. & Onatski, A., 2008.
"Curve forecasting by functional autoregression,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 99(10), pages 2508-2526, November.
- V. Kargin & Alexei Onatski, 2004. "Curve Forecasting by Functional Autoregression," Discussion Papers 0405-18, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- A. Onatski & V. Karguine, 2005. "Curve Forecasting by Functional Autoregression," Computing in Economics and Finance 2005 59, Society for Computational Economics.
- Rob J Hyndman & Shu Fan, 2008. "Density forecasting for long-term peak electricity demand," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 6/08, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Booth, Heather, 2008.
"Stochastic population forecasts using functional data models for mortality, fertility and migration,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 323-342.
- Rob J Hyndman & Heather Booth, 2006. "Stochastic population forecasts using functional data models for mortality, fertility and migration," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 14/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Rafal Weron, 2006. "Modeling and Forecasting Electricity Loads and Prices: A Statistical Approach," HSC Books, Hugo Steinhaus Center, Wroclaw University of Technology, number hsbook0601.
- Rob J. Hyndman & Md. Shahid Ullah, 2005.
"Robust forecasting of mortality and fertility rates: a functional data approach,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
2/05, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Hyndman, Rob J. & Shahid Ullah, Md., 2007. "Robust forecasting of mortality and fertility rates: A functional data approach," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(10), pages 4942-4956, June.
- V. Dordonnat & S.J. Koopman & M. Ooms & A. Dessertaine & J. Collet, 2008. "An Hourly Periodic State Space Model for Modelling French National Electricity Load," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 08-008/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Dotzauer, Erik, 2002. "Simple model for prediction of loads in district-heating systems," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 73(3-4), pages 277-284, November.
- Gareth M. James & Trevor J. Hastie, 2001. "Functional linear discriminant analysis for irregularly sampled curves," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(3), pages 533-550.
- Alves da Silva, Alexandre P. & Ferreira, Vitor H. & Velasquez, Roberto M.G., 2008. "Input space to neural network based load forecasters," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 616-629.
- C. Abraham & P. A. Cornillon & E. Matzner-Løber & N. Molinari, 2003. "Unsupervised Curve Clustering using B-Splines," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics & Finnish Statistical Society & Norwegian Statistical Association & Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(3), pages 581-595.
- Sigauke, C. & Chikobvu, D., 2011. "Prediction of daily peak electricity demand in South Africa using volatility forecasting models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 882-888, September.
- Zhu, Suling & Wang, Jianzhou & Zhao, Weigang & Wang, Jujie, 2011. "A seasonal hybrid procedure for electricity demand forecasting in China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 88(11), pages 3807-3815.
- Goia, Aldo, 2012. "A functional linear model for time series prediction with exogenous variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(5), pages 1005-1011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.