Offering methods and issuer-oriented underpricing costs: Evidence from the Hong Kong IPO market
AbstractWe extend Leung and Menyah's (2006) study by relating the estimation of the issuer-oriented underpricing costs to the IPO offering methods. We distinguish between the oversubscription rates of institutional and retail investors in the estimation of the issuer-oriented underpricing costs associated with the pure fixed price, fixed price and bookbuilding IPOs. Leung and Menyah show that the issuer underpricing cost of new share issues (UN) averages about 14% of the headline underpricing. This average drops to about 7% after accounting for the interest income from application funds (RAF). In this study, we show that the mean of UN is about 16% (11%) of the headline underpricing before (after) accounting for the RAF. We report also evidence that the UN and the RAF depend on the IPO offering method. The UN of the pure fixed price, fixed price and bookbuilding IPOs represent 15.60%, 4.61% and 18.07% of the headline underpricing, respectively. These averages fall to 12.54%, -4.17% and 16.67% after accounting for the RAF. Our conclusions are robust across different time periods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money.
Volume (Year): 19 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin
Hong Kong initial public offerings Offering methods Issuer underpricing cost Interest on application funds;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fung, Joseph K. W. & Cheng, Louis T. W. & Chan, Kam C., 2004. "The impact of the costs of subscription on measured IPO returns: the case of Asia," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 459-465, June.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R. & Rydqvist, Kristian, 1994.
"Initial public offerings: International insights,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 2(2-3), pages 165-199, May.
- Ljungqvist, Alexander P. & Wilhelm, William Jr., 2002.
"IPO allocations: discriminatory or discretionary?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 167-201, August.
- Ljungqvist, Alexander P & Wilhelm Jr, William J, 2001. "IPO Allocations: Discriminatory or Discretionary?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2855, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- William Wilhelm & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2001. "IPO Allocations: Discriminatory or Discretionary?," Economics Series Working Papers 2001-FE-08, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- William Wilhelm & Alexander Ljungqvist, 2001. "IPO Allocations: Discriminatory or Discretionary?," OFRC Working Papers Series 2001fe08, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Jay R. Ritter, 2003. "Differences between European and American IPO Markets," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 9(4), pages 421-434.
- Leung, Jeffery & Menyah, Kojo, 2006. "Issuer-oriented underpricing costs in initial public offers: Evidence from Hong Kong," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 897-905, December.
- Low, Soo-Wah & Yong, Othman, 2011. "Explaining over-subscription in fixed-price IPOs -- Evidence from the Malaysian stock market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 205-216, September.
- Hahl, Teemu & Vähämaa, Sami & Äijö, Janne, 2014. "Value versus growth in IPOs: New evidence from Finland," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(C), pages 17-31.
- Goergen, Marc & Mazouz, Khelifa & Yin, Shuxing, 2010. "Price, volume and spread effects associated with the expiry of lock-in agreements: Evidence from the Hong Kong IPO market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 442-459, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.