An event study analysis of international ventures between banks and insurance firms
AbstractThe current study examines the effects on shareholders wealth as a result of the bank-insurance interface. Using a global sample of financial intermediaries and an event-study framework the findings reveal significant abnormal returns surrounding the announcement of bank-insurance ventures. A control sample using financial institutions that do not pursue bank-insurance deals shows negative abnormal returns with much higher magnitude in absolute terms. When the sample is separated on the basis of the bidder's nature, then bank-bidders earn significant positive returns, while the insurance-bidders experience significant losses. The analysis further unveils either statistically significant negative returns or insignificant values for bank-insurance divestments. Finally, profitability, size and functional diversification are all found significant in determining abnormal returns over various intervals.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money.
Volume (Year): 19 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin
Bank-insurance interface Divestments Financial conglomerates Event study Abnormal returns;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Miller, Merton H & Posner, Richard A, 1978. "An Approach to the Regulation of Bank Holding Companies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(3), pages 379-412, July.
- Stiroh, Kevin J., 2006. "A Portfolio View of Banking with Interest and Noninterest Activities," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1351-1361, August.
- Sotiris K Staikouras, 2006. "Business Opportunities and Market Realities in Financial Conglomerates," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(1), pages 124-148, January.
- Szego, Giorgio P., 1986. "Bank asset management and financial insurance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 295-307, June.
- Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2002. "Cost and Profit Efficiency of Financial Conglomerates and Universal Banks in Europe," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 254-82, February.
- Johnston, Jarrod & Madura, Jeff, 2000. "Valuing the Potential Transformation of Banks into Financial Service Conglomerates: Evidence from the Citigroup Merger," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 17-35, May.
- Carow, Kenneth A. & Heron, Randall A., 2002. "Capital market reactions to the passage of the Financial Services Modernization Act of 1999," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 465-485.
- Cara S. Lown & Carol L. Osler & Philip E. Strahan & Amir Sufi, 2000. "The changing landscape of the financial services industry: what lies ahead?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 39-54.
- Panayiotis G. Artikis & Stanley Mutenga & Sotiris K. Staikouras, 2008. "A practical approach to blend insurance in the banking network," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(2), pages 106-124, March.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Saunders, Anthony & Walter, Ingo, 1994. "Universal Banking in the United States: What Could We Gain? What Could We Lose?," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195080698.
- Lutgart Van den Berghe & Kurt Verweire, 2001.
"Convergence in the Financial Services Industry*,"
The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(2), pages 173-183, April.
- Lutgart Van den Berghe & Kurt Verweire, 2000. "Convergence in the Financial Services Industry*," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 262-272, April.
- Cybo-Ottone, Alberto & Murgia, Maurizio, 2000. "Mergers and shareholder wealth in European banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 831-859, June.
- Bhargava, Rahul & Fraser, Donald R., 1998. "On the wealth and risk effects of commercial bank expansion into securities underwriting: An analysis of Section 20 subsidiaries1," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 447-465, May.
- Baele, Lieven & De Jonghe, Olivier & Vander Vennet, Rudi, 2007. "Does the stock market value bank diversification?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1999-2023, July.
- L. Paige Fields & Donald R. Fraser & James W. Kolari, 2007. "Is Bancassurance a Viable Model for Financial Firms?," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(4), pages 777-794.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Amihud, Yakov & DeLong, Gayle L. & Saunders, Anthony, 2002. "The effects of cross-border bank mergers on bank risk and value," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 857-877, November.
- Saunders, Anthony, 1994. "Banking and commerce: An overview of the public policy issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 231-254, January.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Jia, Jingyi Jane, 2008. "Institutional ownership stability and BHC performance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1767-1781, September.
- Houston, Joel F. & Ryngaert, Michael D., 1994. "The overall gains from large bank mergers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 1155-1176, December.
- Saiying (Esther) Deng & Elyas Elyasiani, 2008. "Geographic Diversification, Bank Holding Company Value, and Risk," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 40(6), pages 1217-1238, 09.
- Boehmer, Ekkehart & Masumeci, Jim & Poulsen, Annette B., 1991. "Event-study methodology under conditions of event-induced variance," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 253-272, December.
- Arnold R. Cowan & Jann C. Howell & Mark L. Power, 2002. "Wealth Effects of Banks' Rights to Market and Originate Annuities," Finance 0203002, EconWPA.
- Robert J. Hendershott, 2002. "Winners and Losers as Financial Service Providers Converge: Evidence from the Financial Modernization Act of 1999," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 53-72, 02.
- Cowan, Arnold R. & Howell, Jann C. & Power, Mark L., 2002. "Wealth effects of banks' rights to market and originate annuities," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 487-503.
- Goddard, John & Molyneux, Philip & Wilson, John O.S. & Tavakoli, Manouche, 2007. "European banking: An overview," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1911-1935, July.
- Fields, L. Paige & Fraser, Donald R. & Kolari, James W., 2007. "Bidder returns in bancassurance mergers: Is there evidence of synergy?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3646-3662, December.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Lutgart Van den Berghe, 1998. "Shaping the Future for the Insurance Sector," The Geneva Papers on Risk and Insurance - Issues and Practice, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 506-518, October.
- Allen, Linda & Jagtiani, Julapa, 2000. "The risk effects of combining banking, securities, and insurance activities," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 485-497.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.