Price discovery of subordinated credit spreads for Japanese mega-banks: Evidence from bond and credit default swap markets
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants and dynamics of subordinated credit spreads for Japanese mega-banks using the bond and credit default swap (CDS) spreads. The main findings are as follows. Subordinated bond and CDS spreads are cointegrated in most cases, and the CDS spread plays a more dominant role in price discovery than the bond spread. In addition, there are significant volatility spillovers from the CDS to bond spread. This information leadership for the CDS spread can largely be explained by stronger reactions of the CDS spread to some financial market variables and bank-specific accounting variables than the bond spread.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money.
Volume (Year): 19 (2009)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin
Subordinated bond Credit default swap Japanese banks Price discovery Volatility spillover;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ito, Takatoshi & Harada, Kimie, 2004. "Credit Derivatives Premium as a New Japan Premium," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 36(5), pages 965-68, October.
- Anand, Amber & Subrahmanyam, Avanidhar, 2008. "Information and the Intermediary: Are Market Intermediaries Informed Traders in Electronic Markets?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 1-28, March.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Imai, Masami, 2007. "The emergence of market monitoring in Japanese banks: Evidence from the subordinated debt market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1441-1460, May.
- de Jong, Frank, 2002.
"Measures of contributions to price discovery: a comparison,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 323-327, July.
- Frank de Jong, 2001. "Measures of Contributions to Price Discovery: A Comparison," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-114/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Gonzalo, J. & Granger, C., 1992.
"Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems,"
4, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Gonzalo, Jesus & Granger, Clive W J, 1995. "Estimation of Common Long-Memory Components in Cointegrated Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 27-35, January.
- Gorton, Gary & Santomero, Anthony M, 1990. "Market Discipline and Bank Subordinated Debt," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(1), pages 119-28, February.
- French, Kenneth R. & Roll, Richard, 1986. "Stock return variances : The arrival of information and the reaction of traders," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 5-26, September.
- Lehmann, Bruce N., 2002. "Some desiderata for the measurement of price discovery across markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 259-276, July.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Sébastien Laurent & Luc Bauwens & Jeroen V. K. Rombouts, 2006.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(1), pages 79-109.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers 2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, . "Multivariate GARCH models: a survey," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Roberto Blanco & Simon Brennan & Ian W Marsh, 2004.
"An empirical analysis of the dynamic relationship between investment-grade bonds and credit default swaps,"
Bank of England working papers
211, Bank of England.
- Roberto Blanco & Simon Brennan & Ian W. Marsh, 2004. "An empirical analysis of the dynamic relationship between investment grade bonds and credit default swaps," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0401, Banco de Espa�a.
- Hasbrouck, Joel, 1995. " One Security, Many Markets: Determining the Contributions to Price Discovery," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1175-99, September.
- Bingcheng Yan & Eric Zivot, 2007. "A Structural Analysis of Price Discovery Measures," Working Papers UWEC-2006-08-FC, University of Washington, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2007.
- Baillie, Richard T. & Geoffrey Booth, G. & Tse, Yiuman & Zabotina, Tatyana, 2002. "Price discovery and common factor models," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-321, July.
- Delatte, Anne-Laure & Fouquau, Julien & Portes, Richard, 2014.
"Nonlinearities in Sovereign Risk Pricing: The Role of CDS Index Contracts,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9898, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anne Laure Delatte, 2014. "Nonlinearities in sovereign risk pricing the role of cds index contracts," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2014-08, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Portes, Richard & Fouquau, Julien & Delatte, Anne-Laure, 2014. "Nonlinearities in Sovereign Risk Pricing: The Role of CDS Index Contract," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/13143, Paris Dauphine University.
- Anne-Laure Delatte & Julien Fouquau & Richard Portes, 2014. "Nonlinearities in Sovereign Risk Pricing: The Role of CDS Index Contracts," NBER Working Papers 19985, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shim, Ilhyock & Zhu, Haibin, 2014. "The impact of CDS trading on the bond market: Evidence from Asia," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 460-475.
- Avino, Davide & Lazar, Emese & Varotto, Simone, 2012.
"Price Discovery of Credit Spreads in Tranquil and Crisis Periods,"
42847, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Avino, Davide & Lazar, Emese & Varotto, Simone, 2013. "Price discovery of credit spreads in tranquil and crisis periods," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 242-253.
- Avino, Davide & Lazar, Emese & Varotto, Simone, 2012. "Which market drives credit spreads in tranquil and crisis periods? An analysis of the contribution to price discovery of bonds, CDS, stocks and options," MPRA Paper 56781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Das, Sanjiv & Kalimipalli, Madhu & Nayak, Subhankar, 2014. "Did CDS trading improve the market for corporate bonds?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 495-525.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.