Cost efficiency of the banking industry in the South Eastern European region
AbstractThis paper analyses cost efficiency in the banking sector of six South Eastern European countries over the period 1998-2003. A stochastic frontier approach, incorporating firm-specific and country-related variables, indicates a generally low level of cost efficiency, with significant inefficiency differences among countries. Foreign banks and banks with higher foreign bank ownership involvement are associated with lower inefficiency. Furthermore, we observe a negative correlation of cost inefficiency with bank capitalization and firm market share, and a positive one with the fraction of loans in the asset portfolio.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money.
Volume (Year): 18 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/intfin
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2004.
"Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transitition countries,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2004, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Bonin, John P. & Hasan, Iftekhar & Wachtel, Paul, 2005. "Bank performance, efficiency and ownership in transition countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 31-53, January.
- Mester, Loretta J., 1996. "A study of bank efficiency taking into account risk-preferences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1025-1045, July.
- Stefania P.S. Rossi & Markus Schwaiger & Gerhard Winkler, 2005. "Managerial Behavior and Cost/Profit Efficiency in the Banking Sectors of Central and Eastern European Countries," Working Papers 96, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002.
"Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2850, The World Bank.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," IMF Working Papers 02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- Havrylchyk, Olena, 2006. "Efficiency of the Polish banking industry: Foreign versus domestic banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1975-1996, July.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997.
"Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?,"
97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997. "Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2000.
"Development and Efficiency of the Banking Sector in a Transitional Economy: Hungarian Experience,"
BOFIT Discussion Papers
7/2000, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Hasan, Iftekhar & Marton, Katherin, 2003. "Development and efficiency of the banking sector in a transitional economy: Hungarian experience," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(12), pages 2249-2271, December.
- Adnan Kasman & Canan Yildirim, 2006. "Cost and profit efficiencies in transition banking: the case of new EU members," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1079-1090.
- Mertens, Alexander & Urga, Giovanni, 2001. "Efficiency, scale and scope economies in the Ukrainian banking sector in 1998," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 292-308, September.
- Isik, Ihsan & Hassan, M. Kabir, 2002. "Technical, scale and allocative efficiencies of Turkish banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 719-766, April.
- Adnan Kasman, 2005. "Efficiency and Scale Economies in Transition Economies : Evidence from Poland and the Czech Republic," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(2), pages 60-81, March.
- Igor Jemric & Boris Vujcic, 2002. "Efficiency of Banks in Croatia: A DEA Approach*," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 44(2-3), pages 169-193, September.
- Carvallo, Oscar & Kasman, Adnan, 2005. "Cost efficiency in the Latin American and Caribbean banking systems," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 55-72, January.
- Fries, Steven & Taci, Anita, 2005. "Cost efficiency of banks in transition: Evidence from 289 banks in 15 post-communist countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 55-81, January.
- Ewa M. Nikiel & Timothy P. Opiela, 2002. "Customer Type And Bank Efficiency In Poland: Implications For Emerging Market Banking," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(3), pages 255-271, 07.
- Mihăiță-Cosmin M. POPOVICI, 2014. "Impact Of Financial Crisis On Banking Efficiency: Evidence From Romania," SEA - Practical Application of Science, Fundația Română pentru Inteligența Afacerii, Editorial Department, issue 3, pages 451-456, April.
- Головань С.В. & Назин В.В. & Пересецкий А.А., 2010.
"Непараметрические Оценки Эффективности Российских Банков,"
Журнал Экономика и математические методы (ЭММ),
Центральный Экономико-Математический Институт (ЦЭМИ), vol. 46(3), Ð¸ÑÐ»Ñ.
- Golovan, Sergei & Nazin, Vladimir & Peresetsky, Anatoly, 2010.
"Непараметрические Оценки Эффективности Российских Банков
[Nonparametric estimates of Russian banks efficiency]," MPRA Paper 56037, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2010.
- Golovan, Sergei & Nazin, Vladimir & Peresetsky, Anatoly, 2010. "Непараметрические Оценки Эффективности Российских Банков
- Asma Mghaieth & Imen Khanchel El Mehdi, 2014. "The determinants of cost/profit efficiency of Islamic banks before, during and after the crisis of 2007-2008 using SFA approach," Working Papers 2014-107, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Langsch Tecles, Patricia, 2010. "Estimating a Bayesian stochastic frontier for the Indian banking system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 96-110, May.
- José Luis Carreño & Gino Loyola & Yolanda Portilla, 2010. "Eficiencia Bancaria en Chile: un Enfoque de Frontera de Beneficios," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 603, Central Bank of Chile.
- Olson, Dennis & Zoubi, Taisier A., 2011. "Efficiency and bank profitability in MENA countries," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 94-110, June.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Anatoly Peresetsky, 2013. "Cost efficiency of Kazakhstan and Russian banks: results from competing panel data models-super-1," Macroeconomics and Finance in Emerging Market Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(1), pages 88-113, March.
- Peresetsky, Anatoly, 2010. "Bank cost efficiency in Kazakhstan and Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 1/2010, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Ion Lapteacru, 2012. "Assessing lending market concentration in Bulgaria: the application of a new measure of concentration," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 9(1), pages 79-102, April.
- Nazin, Vladimir, 2010. "Nonparametric estimates of technical efficiency of Russian banks and crisis impact," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 20(4), pages 28-52.
- Sunil Kumar, 2013. "Banking reforms and the evolution of cost efficiency in Indian public sector banks," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 143-182, May.
- José Luis Carreño G. & Gino Loyola F. & Yolanda Portilla S., 2010. "Banking Efficiency in Chile: a Profit Frontier Approach," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 13(3), pages 33-65, December.
- Sameh Charfeddine Karray & Jamel eddine Chichti, 2013. "Bank Size and Efficiency in Developing Countries: Intermediation Approach versus Value Added Approach and Impact of Non-Traditional Activities," Asian Economic and Financial Review, Asian Economic and Social Society, vol. 3(5), pages 593-613, May.
- Samir Srairi, 2010. "Cost and profit efficiency of conventional and Islamic banks in GCC countries," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 45-62, August.
- Cadet, Raulin Lincifort, 2008. "Cost and profit efficiency of banks in Haiti: do domestic banks perform better than foreign banks?," MPRA Paper 11953, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2008.
- Claude Berthomieu & Anastasia Ri, 2009. "Process and Effects of Financial Liberalization in Transition Countries: A Selective Literature Survey," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 56(4), pages 453-473, December.
- Fukuyama, Hirofumi & Matousek, Roman, 2011. "Efficiency of Turkish banking: Two-stage network system. Variable returns to scale model," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 75-91, February.
- George Assaf, A. & Matousek, Roman & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2013. "Turkish bank efficiency: Bayesian estimation with undesirable outputs," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 506-517.
- Matousek, Roman & Nguyen, Thao Ngoc & Stewart, Chris, 2014. "Efficiency in the Vietnamese banking system: A DEA double bootstrap approach," Economics Discussion Papers 2014-1, School of Economics, Kingston University London.
- Siriopoulos, Costas & Tziogkidis, Panagiotis, 2010. "How do Greek banking institutions react after significant events?--A DEA approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 294-308, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.