Pricing inflation-linked variable annuities under stochastic interest rates
AbstractEquities have long been dubbed the natural hedge against inflation. However, empirical findings have implied just the opposite, that there exists a negative correlation between stock returns and inflation. The rising inflation and slowing economic growth that we are experiencing in today’s market environment pose an even greater threat to the general investors, especially on their retirement planning. In this paper, we present various inflation-linked variable annuities which are designed to help investors protect their portfolios from inflation risk. Assuming a Gaussian HJM framework for the nominal and real term structures, closed-form pricing formulas are obtained for these inflation-linked annuity products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 52 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Inflation; HJM; Variable annuities; Retirement; Derivatives; Investment;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jarrow, Robert & Yildirim, Yildiray, 2003. "Pricing Treasury Inflation Protected Securities and Related Derivatives using an HJM Model," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(02), pages 337-358, June.
- Kaushik I. Amin & Robert A. Jarrow, 1992. "Pricing Options On Risky Assets In A Stochastic Interest Rate Economy," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(4), pages 217-237.
- Roberto Rocha & Dimitri Vittas & Heinz P. Rudolph, 2011. "Annuities and Other Retirement Products : Designing the Payout Phase," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2272, March.
- Hinnerich, Mia, 2008. "Inflation-indexed swaps and swaptions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 2293-2306, November.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Olivia S. Mitchell & James M. Poterba, 1999.
"The Role of Real Annuities and Indexed Bonds in an Individual Accounts Retirement Program,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
99-18, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Olivia S. Mitchell & James M. Poterba, 2001. "The Role of Real Annuities and Indexed Bonds in an Individual Accounts Retirement Program," NBER Chapters, in: Risk Aspects of Investment-Based Social Security Reform, pages 321-370 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Olivia S. Mitchell & James M. Poterba, 1999. "The Role of Real Annuities and Indexed Bonds in an Individual Accounts Retirement Program," NBER Working Papers 7005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Olivia S. Mitchell & James M. Poterba, . "The Role of Real Annuities and Indexed Bonds In An Individual Accounts Retirement Program," Pension Research Council Working Papers 99-2, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Boudoukh, Jacob & Richardson, Matthew, 1993. "Stock Returns and Inflation: A Long-Horizon Perspective," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1346-55, December.
- Brière, Marie & Ang, Andrew & Signori, Ombretta, 2012. "Inflation and Individual Equities," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7847, Paris Dauphine University.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1981. "Stock Returns, Real Activity, Inflation, and Money," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(4), pages 545-65, September.
- Fabio Mercurio, 2005. "Pricing inflation-indexed derivatives," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(3), pages 289-302.
- Geske, Robert & Roll, Richard, 1983. " The Fiscal and Monetary Linkage between Stock Returns and Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(1), pages 1-33, March.
- Andrew Ang & Marie Brière & Ombretta Signori, 2012. "Inflation and Individual Equities," NBER Working Papers 17798, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fama, Eugene F. & Schwert, G. William, 1977. "Asset returns and inflation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 115-146, November.
- Blenman, Lloyd P. & Clark, Steven P., 2005. "Power exchange options," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 97-106, June.
- Bodie, Zvi, 1976. "Common Stocks as a Hedge against Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 459-70, May.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Lee, Bong-Soo, 1992. " Causal Relations among Stock Returns, Interest Rates, Real Activity, and Inflation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1591-603, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.