Optimal time-consistent investment and reinsurance policies for mean-variance insurers
AbstractThis paper investigates the optimal time-consistent policies of an investment-reinsurance problem and an investment-only problem under the mean-variance criterion for an insurer whose surplus process is approximated by a Brownian motion with drift. The financial market considered by the insurer consists of one risk-free asset and multiple risky assets whose price processes follow geometric Brownian motions. A general verification theorem is developed, and explicit closed-form expressions of the optimal polices and the optimal value functions are derived for the two problems. Economic implications and numerical sensitivity analysis are presented for our results. Our main findings are: (i) the optimal time-consistent policies of both problems are independent of their corresponding wealth processes; (ii) the two problems have the same optimal investment policies; (iii) the parameters of the risky assets (the insurance market) have no impact on the optimal reinsurance (investment) policy; (iv) the premium return rate of the insurer does not affect the optimal policies but affects the optimal value functions; (v) reinsurance can increase the mean-variance utility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 49 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Time-consistency Continuous-time investment and reinsurance choice Mean-variance criterion Insurer Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lihua Bai & Huayue Zhang, 2008. "Dynamic mean-variance problem with constrained risk control for the insurers," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 68(1), pages 181-205, August.
- Łukasz Delong & Russell Gerrard, 2007. "Mean-variance portfolio selection for a non-life insurance company," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 66(2), pages 339-367, October.
- Yang, Hailiang & Zhang, Lihong, 2005. "Optimal investment for insurer with jump-diffusion risk process," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 615-634, December.
- Chen, Shumin & Li, Zhongfei & Li, Kemian, 2010. "Optimal investment-reinsurance policy for an insurance company with VaR constraint," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 144-153, October.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Cao, Yusong & Wan, Nianqing, 2009. "Optimal proportional reinsurance and investment based on Hamilton-Jacobi-Bellman equation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 157-162, October.
- Gu, Mengdi & Yang, Yipeng & Li, Shoude & Zhang, Jingyi, 2010. "Constant elasticity of variance model for proportional reinsurance and investment strategies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 580-587, June.
- Basak, Suleyman & Chabakauri, Georgy, 2009.
"Dynamic Mean-Variance Asset Allocation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7256, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bai, Lihua & Guo, Junyi, 2008. "Optimal proportional reinsurance and investment with multiple risky assets and no-shorting constraint," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 968-975, June.
- Nicole Bäuerle, 2005. "Benchmark and mean-variance problems for insurers," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 62(1), pages 159-165, 09.
- Browne, S., 1995. "Optimal Investment Policies for a Firm with a Random Risk Process: Exponential Utility and Minimizing the Probability of Ruin," Papers 95-08, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Li, Zhongfei & Zeng, Yan & Lai, Yongzeng, 2012. "Optimal time-consistent investment and reinsurance strategies for insurers under Heston’s SV model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 191-203.
- Zhao, Hui & Rong, Ximin & Zhao, Yonggan, 2013. "Optimal excess-of-loss reinsurance and investment problem for an insurer with jump–diffusion risk process under the Heston model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 504-514.
- Zeng, Yan & Li, Zhongfei & Lai, Yongzeng, 2013. "Time-consistent investment and reinsurance strategies for mean–variance insurers with jumps," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 498-507.
- Xiaoxiao Zheng & Xin Zhang, 2014. "Optimal investment-reinsurance policy under a long-term perspective," Papers 1406.7604, arXiv.org.
- He, Lin & Liang, Zongxia, 2013. "Optimal investment strategy for the DC plan with the return of premiums clauses in a mean–variance framework," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 643-649.
- Li, Yongwu & Li, Zhongfei, 2013. "Optimal time-consistent investment and reinsurance strategies for mean–variance insurers with state dependent risk aversion," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 86-97.
- Gu, Ailing & Guo, Xianping & Li, Zhongfei & Zeng, Yan, 2012. "Optimal control of excess-of-loss reinsurance and investment for insurers under a CEV model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 674-684.
- Yi, Bo & Li, Zhongfei & Viens, Frederi G. & Zeng, Yan, 2013. "Robust optimal control for an insurer with reinsurance and investment under Heston’s stochastic volatility model," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 601-614.
- Chen, Ping & Yam, S.C.P., 2013. "Optimal proportional reinsurance and investment with regime-switching for mean–variance insurers," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 871-883.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.