Analysis of the Gerber-Shiu function and dividend barrier problems for a risk process with two classes of claims
AbstractIn this paper we consider a risk model with two independent classes of insurance risks. We assume that the two independent claim counting processes are, respectively, the Poisson and the generalized Erlang(2) process. We prove that the Gerber-Shiu function satisfies some defective renewal equations. Exact representations for the solutions of these equations are derived through an associated compound geometric distribution and an analytic expression for this quantity is given when the claim severities have rationally distributed Laplace transforms. Further, the same risk model is considered in the presence of a constant dividend barrier. A system of integro-differential equations with certain boundary conditions for the Gerber-Shiu function is derived and solved. Using systems of integro-differential equations for the moment-generating function as well as for the arbitrary moments of the discounted sum of the dividend payments until ruin, a matrix version of the dividends-penalty is derived. An extension to a risk model when the two independent claim counting processes are Poisson and generalized Erlang([nu]), respectively, is considered, generalizing the aforementioned results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Compound Poisson process Generalized Erlang risk process Discounted penalty function Defective renewal equations Dividend barrier Rationally distributed claim severities Present value of the dividend payments Moment-generating function Dividends-penalty identity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tsai, Cary Chi-Liang & Sun, Li-juan, 2004. "On the discounted distribution functions for the Erlang(2) risk process," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 5-19, August.
- Li, Shuanming & Garrido, Jose, 2004. "On ruin for the Erlang(n) risk process," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 391-408, June.
- Lin, X. Sheldon & Willmot, Gordon E., 1999. "Analysis of a defective renewal equation arising in ruin theory," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 63-84, September.
- Lu, Yi & Li, Shuanming, 2009. "The Markovian regime-switching risk model with a threshold dividend strategy," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 296-303, April.
- Li, Shuanming & Dickson, David C.M., 2006. "The maximum surplus before ruin in an Erlang(n) risk process and related problems," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 529-539, June.
- Li, Shuanming & Garrido, Jose, 2004. "On a class of renewal risk models with a constant dividend barrier," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 691-701, December.
- Li, Shuanming & Lu, Yi, 2005. "On the expected discounted penalty functions for two classes of risk processes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 179-193, April.
- Dickson, David C. M. & Hipp, Christian, 2001. "On the time to ruin for Erlang(2) risk processes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 333-344, December.
- Dickson, David C. M. & Hipp, Christian, 1998. "Ruin probabilities for Erlang(2) risk processes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 251-262, July.
- Yuen, Kam C. & Guo, Junyi & Wu, Xueyuan, 2002. "On a correlated aggregate claims model with Poisson and Erlang risk processes," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 205-214, October.
- Albrecher, Hansjorg & Claramunt, M.Merce & Marmol, Maite, 2005. "On the distribution of dividend payments in a Sparre Andersen model with generalized Erlang(n) interclaim times," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 324-334, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.