The valuation of contingent capital with catastrophe risks
AbstractThe Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Fourth Assessment Report (2007) indicates that unanticipated catastrophic events could increase with time because of global warming. Therefore, it seems inadequate to assume that arrival process of catastrophic events follows a pure Poisson process adopted by most previous studies (e.g. [Louberge, H., Kellezi, E., Gilli, M., 1999. Using catastrophe-linked securities to diversify insurance risk: A financial analysis of lCAT bonds. J. Risk Insurance 22, 125-146; Lee, J.-P., Yu, M.-T., 2002. Pricing default-risky CAT bonds with moral hazard and basis risk. J. Risk Insurance 69, 25-44; Cox, H., Fairchild, J., Pedersen, H., 2004. Valuation of structured risk management products. Insurance Math. Econom. 34, 259-272; Jaimungal, S., Wang, T., 2006. Catastrophe options with stochastic interest rates and compound Poisson losses. Insurance Math. Econom., 38, 469-483]. In order to overcome this shortcoming, this paper proposes a doubly stochastic Poisson process to model the arrival process for catastrophic events. Furthermore, we generalize the assumption in the last reference mentioned above to define the general loss function presenting that different specific loss would have different impacts on the drop in stock price. Based on modeling the arrival rates for catastrophe risks, the pricing formulas of contingent capital are derived by the Merton measure. Results of empirical experiments of contingent capital prices as well as sensitivity analyses are presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Insurance: Mathematics and Economics.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505554
Doubly stochastic Poisson process Catastrophe risks Contingent capital;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:geneec:99.01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-92, July.
- Tomas Björk & Yuri Kabanov & Wolfgang Runggaldier, 1997. "Bond Market Structure in the Presence of Marked Point Processes," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(2), pages 211-239.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
41, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-87, May.
- Paul Glasserman & S. G. Kou, 2003. "The Term Structure of Simple Forward Rates with Jump Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 383-410.
- Burnecki, Krzysztof & Kukla, Grzegorz & Weron, Rafał, 2000.
"Property insurance loss distributions,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 287(1), pages 269-278.
- Cox, Samuel H. & Fairchild, Joseph R. & Pedersen, Hal W., 2004. "Valuation of structured risk management products," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 259-272, April.
- Jaimungal, Sebastian & Wang, Tao, 2006. "Catastrophe options with stochastic interest rates and compound Poisson losses," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 469-483, June.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Henri Louberge & Evis Kellezi & Manfred Gilli, 1999.
"Using Catastrophe-Linked Securities to Diversity Insurance Risk: A Financial Analysis of Cat Bonds,"
Journal of Insurance Issues,
Western Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 125-146.
- Louberge, H. & Kellezi, E. & Gilli, M., 1999. "Using Catastrophe-Linked Securities to Diversify Insurance Risk: a Financial Analysis of Cat Bonds," Research Papers by the Institute of Economics and Econometrics, Geneva School of Economics and Management, University of Geneva 99.04, Institut d'Economie et Econométrie, Université de Genève.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Gunther Leobacher & Philip Ngare, 2014. "Utility indifference pricing of derivatives written on industrial loss indexes," Papers 1404.0879, arXiv.org.
- Lo, Chien-Ling & Lee, Jin-Ping & Yu, Min-Teh, 2013. "Valuation of insurers’ contingent capital with counterparty risk and price endogeneity," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5025-5035.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.