Multiple cones, factor price differences and the factor content of trade
AbstractThis paper examines the theoretical predictions of the multi-cone Heckscher-Ohlin model and the empirical evidence for it. I extend Helpman (1984)by identifying additional restrictions that characterize the free trade equilibrium. I illustrate that the complete set of restrictions are the building blocks of a multi-cone factor content specification which is the factor content dual to Alan Deardorff's (1979)well-known chain of comparative advantage goods prediction. The theoretical analysis implies that the existing tests of Helpman are incomplete. Applying the complete set of restrictions to Choi and Krishna's data set of 8 OECD countries, I find limited empirical support. This is compatible with previous studies suggesting that OECD countries do not occupy different cones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 79 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Heckscher-Ohlin Multiple cones Factor content restrictions;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yong-Seok Choi & Pravin Krishna, 2004.
"The Factor Content of Bilateral Trade: An Empirical Test,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 112(4), pages 887-914, August.
- Yong_Seok Choi & Pravin Krishna, 2000. "The Factor Content of Bilateral Trade:an Empirical Test," Working Papers 2000-11, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1979. "Weak links in the chain of comparative advantage," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 197-209, May.
- Helpman, Elhanan, 1984. "The Factor Content of Foreign Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 94(373), pages 84-94, March.
- Debaere, Peter & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2003. "On the similarity of country endowments," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 101-136, January.
- Xiang, Chong, 2007. "Diversification cones, trade costs and factor market linkages," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 448-466, April.
- Trefler, Daniel, 1995. "The Case of the Missing Trade and Other Mysteries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1029-46, December.
- Deardorff, Alan V, 1980. "The General Validity of the Law of Comparative Advantage," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 941-57, October.
- Lai, Huiwen & Zhu, Susan Chun, 2007. "Technology, endowments, and the factor content of bilateral trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 389-409, April.
- Fisher, Eric O'N., 2011.
"Heckscher-Ohlin theory when countries have different technologies,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 202-210, April.
- Eric O'N. Fisher, 2010. "Heckscher-Ohlin Theory when Countries have Different Technologies," CESifo Working Paper Series 3118, CESifo Group Munich.
- Shuichiro Nishioka, 2009. "Reconsidering the Role of Capital Accumulation for International Specialization across Industries," Working Papers 09-13, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Daniel Bernhofen, 2010.
"The Empirics of General Equilibrium Tade Theory: What Have we Learned?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3242, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daniel M. Bernhofen, . "The Empirics of General Equilibrium Trade Theory: What Have We Learned?," Discussion Papers 10/24, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Kiyota, Kozo, 2012. "A many-cone world?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 345-354.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.