A general equilibrium model of exchange market intervention with variable sterilization
AbstractThis paper presents a general equilibrium model that incorporates three of the most prominent features of the recent floating exchange rate period: (1) rational asset markets; (2)"managed" exchange rates with partial (and variable) sterilization; and (3) the use by policymakers of both purely discretionary and systematic policies. The model is characterized by rational expectations, sticky prices, imperfect capital substitution, separate policy functions for domestic credit and reserves, and variable sterilization. The most important implications of the model are that (1) monetary, exchange rate, and variable sterilization policies may be used to pursue tradeoffs between internal and external objectives; and (2) these tradeoffs are nonlinear functions of the policies chosen (e.g., partial sterilization is not a simple linear interpolation of complete and zero sterilization).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505552
Other versions of this item:
- Fidelina B. Natividad & Joe A. Stone, 1987. "A General Equilibruim Model of Exchange Market Intervention with Variable Sterilization," UP School of Economics Discussion Papers 198703, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Almekinders, G.J., 1993. "Theories on the scope for foreign exchange market intervention," Discussion Paper 1993-42, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Kletzer, Kenneth & Spiegel, Mark M., 2004.
"Sterilization costs and exchange rate targeting,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 897-915, October.
- Keltzer, K. & Spiegel, M., 1999. "Sterilization Costs and Exchange Rate Targeting," Papers pb99-03, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf-.
- Kenneth Kletzer & Mark Spiegel, 1999. "Sterilization costs and exchange rate targeting," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 99-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Ono, Y., 2001. "International Spillover of Economic Fluctuations:A Dynamic Optimization Approach," ISER Discussion Paper 0527, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.