FDI inflow as an international business operation by MNCs and economic growth: An empirical study on Turkey
AbstractThe issue of foreign direct investment (FDI) has been affecting the world economy for years and is a considerable subject for both developed and developing countries. FDI is the fixed form of international business operation made across the national borders made mostly by the multi national corporations (MNCs). The positive impact of FDI inflow in a host country is expected to emerge as capital accumulation, technology transfer, know-how acquisition, innovative capacity and economic growth eventually. In this study, it is aimed to address the FDI literature depending on comprehensive international publications and then to analyze the FDI inflow and GDP growth in Turkey with econometric methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 23 (2014)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
- F00 - International Economics - - General - - - General
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F43 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Economic Growth of Open Economies
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- O40 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laura Alfaro & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Vadym Volosovych, 2005.
"Why Doesn't Capital Flow from Rich to Poor Countries? An Empirical Investigation,"
NBER Working Papers
11901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laura Alfaro & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Vadym Volosovych, 2008. "Why Doesn't Capital Flow from Rich to Poor Countries? An Empirical Investigation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 90(2), pages 347-368, May.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Vadym Volosovych, 2003. "Why doesn’t Capital Flow from Rich to Poor Countries? An Empirical Investigation," Working Papers 2003-01, Department of Economics, University of Houston.
- Laura Alfaro & Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, 2004. "Why doesn't capital flow from rich to poor countries? An empirical investigation," 2004 Meeting Papers 53, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004.
"FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002. "FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets," Macroeconomics 0212007, EconWPA.
- James Ang, 2009. "Financial development and the FDI-growth nexus: the Malaysian experience," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(13), pages 1595-1601.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Diaz-Mora & Carmen Diaz-Roldan, 2010.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Growth: An Analysis of the Spanish Case,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(3), pages 373-382.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Mora & Carmen Díaz-Roldán, 2007. "Foreign direct investment and regional growth: An analysis of the Spanish case," Working Papers 07-08, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Mousumi Duttaray & Amitava Dutt & Kajal Mukhopadhyay, 2008. "Foreign direct investment and economic growth in less developed countries: an empirical study of causality and mechanisms," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(15), pages 1927-1939.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- MacKinnon, James G & Haug, Alfred A & Michelis, Leo, 1999.
"Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 563-77, Sept.-Oct.
- James G. MacKinnon & Alfred A. Haug & Leo Michelis, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," Working Papers 1996_07, York University, Department of Economics.
- Mackinnon, J.G. & Haug, A.A. & Michelis, L., 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions of Likelihood Ratio Tests for Cointegration," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a09, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Changwen Zhao & Jiang Du, 2007. "Causality Between FDI and Economic Growth in China," Chinese Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(6), pages 68-82, November.
- Mustafa Akal, 2006. "Causalities Among Growth Related Policy Variables In Turkey, 1950-2004," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(3).
- Miao Wang, 2009. "Manufacturing FDI and economic growth: evidence from Asian economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(8), pages 991-1002.
- Tam B. Vu & Byron Gangnes & Ilan Noy, 2008. "Is Foreign Direct Investment Good for Growth? Evidence from Sectoral Analysis of China and Vietnam," Working Papers 200801, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Camilla Mastromarco, 2008. "Foreign Capital And Efficiency In Developing Countries," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(4), pages 351-374, October.
- Iskra Christova-Balkanska, 2009. "Foreign Direct Investments in Bulgaria: Do They Have an Effect on the Economic Development of the Country?," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 197-213.
- Sekmen, Fuat, 2007. "Cointegration and Causality among Foreign Direct Investment in Tourism Sector, GDP, and Exchange Rate Volatility in Turkey," MPRA Paper 8736, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sumei Tang & E. A. Selvanathan & S. Selvanathan, 2008.
"Foreign Direct Investment, Domestic Investment and Economic Growth in China: A Time Series Analysis,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 31(10), pages 1292-1309, October.
- Tang, Sumei & Selvanathan, E.A. & Selvanathan, S., 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment, Domestic Investment, and Economic Growth in China: A Time Series Analysis," Working Paper Series RP2008/19, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Shujie Yao, 2006. "On economic growth, FDI and exports in China," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(3), pages 339-351.
- Faruk Gürsoy & Hüseyin Kalyoncu, 2012. "Foreign Direct Investment and Growth Relationship in Georgia," International Journal of Economics and Financial Issues, Econjournals, vol. 2(3), pages 267-271.
- Borensztein, E. & De Gregorio, J. & Lee, J-W., 1998.
"How does foreign direct investment affect economic growth?1,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 115-135, June.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Jose De Gregorio & Jong-Wha Lee, 1995. "How Does Foreign Direct Investment Affect Economic Growth?," NBER Working Papers 5057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chien-Chiang Lee & Chun-Ping Chang, 2009. "FDI, financial development, and economic growth: International evidence," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 249-271, November.
- Parantap Basu & Chandana Chakraborty & Derrick Reagle, 2003. "Liberalization, FDI, and Growth in Developing Countries: A Panel Cointegration Approach," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(3), pages 510-516, July.
- Shandre M. Thangavelu & Yik Wei Yong & Aekapol Chongvilaivan, 2009. "FDI, Growth and the Asian Financial Crisis: The Experience of Selected Asian Countries," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(10), pages 1461-1477, October.
- Tam Bang Vu, 2008. "Foreign direct investment and endogenous growth in Vietnam," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(9), pages 1165-1173.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Xiaohui Liu & Chang Shu & Peter Sinclair, 2009. "Trade, foreign direct investment and economic growth in Asian economies," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(13), pages 1603-1612.
- L.R. de Mello Jr., 1996.
"Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data,"
Studies in Economics
9615, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- de Mello, Luiz R, Jr, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment-Led Growth: Evidence from Time Series and Panel Data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(1), pages 133-51, January.
- John K. Mullen & Martin Williams, 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and Regional Economic Performance," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 265-282, 04.
- Jonathan Batten & Xuan Vinh Vo, 2009. "An analysis of the relationship between foreign direct investment and economic growth," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(13), pages 1621-1641.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.