The role of corporate governance in FDI decisions: Evidence from Taiwan
AbstractThere has been a considerable literature on the determinants of why firms undertake foreign direct investment (FDI), but very little on whether firms with different governance characteristics are more or less likely to venture overseas. For example, are family-controlled firms more predisposed to FDI than firms, with similar attributes, but different forms of ownership? Does the presence of institutional shareholders suggest a greater propensity to invest abroad? Does the composition of the Board of Directors have an impact? Most extant studies of corporate governance focus on the impact of governance factors on firm performance. However, these performance outcomes are a function of the strategic decisions made by the firms, which suggests it might be useful to consider the relationship between corporate governance factors and particular strategic decisions. One example is the decision to undertake foreign direct investment. The two main strands of IB literature on the determinants of FDI have little or nothing to say about how corporate governance factors might affect the FDI decision. Both internalisation theory and the resource-based view see FDI primarily as a means by which firms can appropriate rents in overseas markets from the exploitation of their idiosyncratic resources and capabilities. This paper extends this literature by investigating the effects of governance factors on the decision to undertake FDI. In particular, we want to assess the impact upon the FDI decision of (a) the extent of family control, (b) the presence of domestic and foreign institutional shareholders, and (c) the composition of the Board of Directors. We investigate these effects using a sample of 228 publicly listed firms in Taiwan, and our results clearly indicate that family control and share ownership by domestic financial institutions in Taiwanese firms are associated with the decision to undertake FDI. We also find that corporate governance impacts in different ways with regard to Taiwanese FDI in China in comparison to Taiwanese FDI in the rest of the world.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond & Stonehill, Arthur, 2001.
"On the treatment of finance-specific factors within the OLI paradigm,"
International Business Review,
Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 381-398, August.
- Oxelheim, Lars & Randøy, Trond & Stonehill, Arthur, 2001. "On the Treatment of Finance-Specific Factors Within the OLI Paradigm," Working Paper Series 554, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Lang, Larry H. P., 2000. "The separation of ownership and control in East Asian Corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 81-112.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-De-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1999.
"Corporate Ownership Around the World,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 54(2), pages 471-517, 04.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," NBER Working Papers 6625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 1998. "Corporate Ownership Around the World," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1840, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- McDougall, Patricia Phillips & Oviatt, Benjamin M., 1996. "New venture internationalization, strategic change, and performance: A follow-up study," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 23-40, January.
- Benjamin Gomes-Casseres, 1990. "Firm Ownership Preferences and Host Government Restrictions: An Integrated Approach," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Arthur, N., 2001. "Board composition as the outcome of an internal bargaining process: empirical evidence," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 307-340, September.
- Mak, Y. T. & Li, Yuan, 2001. "Determinants of corporate ownership and board structure: evidence from Singapore," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 235-256, September.
- Igor Filatotchev & Natalya Dyomina & Mike Wright & Trevor Buck, 2001. "Effects of Post-Privatization Governance and Strategies on Export Intensity in the Former Soviet Union," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 32(4), pages 853-871, December.
- Yermack, David, 1996. "Higher market valuation of companies with a small board of directors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 185-211, February.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Brickley, James A. & Coles, Jeffrey L. & Terry, Rory L., 1994. "Outside directors and the adoption of poison pills," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 371-390, June.
- Goyal, Vidhan K. & Park, Chul W., 2002. "Board leadership structure and CEO turnover," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 49-66, January.
- S.A. Lippman & R.P. Rumelt, 1982. "Uncertain Imitability: An Analysis of Interfirm Differences in Efficiency under Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 418-438, Autumn.
- Igor Filatotchev & Mike Wright & Trevor Buck & Natalya Dyomina, 1999. "Exporting and Restructuring in Privatised Firms from Russia, Ukraine and Belarus," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(7), pages 1013-1037, 09.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Jung, Kooyul & Kwon, Soo Young, 2002. "Ownership structure and earnings informativeness: Evidence from Korea," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 301-325.
- Wruck, Karen Hopper, 1989. "Equity ownership concentration and firm value : Evidence from private equity financings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 3-28, June.
- Xie, Biao & Davidson, Wallace III & DaDalt, Peter J., 2003. "Earnings management and corporate governance: the role of the board and the audit committee," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 295-316, June.
- Tseng, Chiung-Hui & Lee, Ruby P., 2010. "Host environmental uncertainty and equity-based entry mode dilemma: The role of market linking capability," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 407-418, August.
- Lei, Han-Sheng & Chen, Yung-Shuan, 2011. "The right tree for the right bird: Location choice decision of Taiwanese firms' FDI in China and Vietnam," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 338-352, June.
- Lai, Jung-Ho & Chen, Li-Yu & Chang, Shao-Chi, 2012. "The board mechanism and entry mode choice," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 379-392.
- Adegbite, Emmanuel & Amaeshi, Kenneth & Nakajima, Chizu, 2013. "Multiple influences on corporate governance practice in Nigeria: Agents, strategies and implications," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 524-538.
- Liu, Yunshi & Ahlstrom, David & Yeh, Kuang S., 2006. "The separation of ownership and management in Taiwan's public companies: An empirical study," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 415-435, August.
- Lau, Chung-Ming & Fan, Dennis K.K. & Young, Michael N. & Wu, Shukun, 2007. "Corporate governance effectiveness during institutional transition," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 425-448, August.
- Wen-Ting Lin & Kuei-Yang Cheng, 2013. "The effect of upper echelons’ compensation on firm internationalization," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 30(1), pages 73-90, March.
- Jenifer Piesse & Igor Filatotchev & Yung-Chih Lien, 2007. "Corporate governance in family-controlled firms in Taiwan," International Review of Economics, Springer, vol. 54(1), pages 176-193, March.
- Chen, Chiung-Jung & Yu, Chwo-Ming Joseph, 2012. "Managerial ownership, diversification, and firm performance: Evidence from an emerging market," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 518-534.
- Hsu, Chia-Wen & Lien, Yung-Chih & Chen, Homin, 2013. "International ambidexterity and firm performance in small emerging economies," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 58-67.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.