Connected internationalisation processes: the case of internationalising channel intermediaries
AbstractBased on a network approach to internationalisation, the paper presents concepts for analysing companies' processes of internationalising in a moving context of other firms internationalising. The analytical problem and research question of the study is: How are firms internationalising in a continuously moving context of other, connected firms that are internationalising concurrently? The idea of connected and overlapping network processes is introduced as an analytical tool for approaching the problem. The concept spatial overlapping is applied to analyse geographical aspects of overlapping internationalisation processes. These processes are illustrated with an empirical study of the internationalisation processes of channel intermediaries. The empirical aim of the study is to complement earlier research into the internationalisation of manufacturing firms, service firms, retail chains, etc. with a study that puts channel intermediaries in focus. Connected internationalisation processes are illustrated with a case from the electronic component distribution industry. Two issues are brought up in the analysis of the case: various ways of handling concurrent and connected internationalisation processes, and of handling the resulting spatial overlapping processes, including the redefinition of market regions, regionalisation. In the final implications, the handling of network contradictions and tensions emerging from connected internationalisation processes are elaborated on in a model suggesting further research into this line of internationalisation research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 11 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reid, Stan, 1984. "Information acquisition and export entry decisions in small firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 141-157, June.
- Fletcher, Richard, 2001. "A holistic approach to internationalisation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Warren J Bilkey & George Tesar, 1977. "The Export Behavior of Smaller-Sized Wisconsin Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 93-98, March.
- Chetty, Sylvie & Blankenburg Holm, Desiree, 2000. "Internationalisation of small to medium-sized manufacturing firms: a network approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 77-93, February.
- Hulbert, Bev & Gilmore, Audrey & Carson, David, 2013. "Sources of opportunities used by growth minded owner managers of small and medium sized enterprises," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 293-303.
- Jack, Robert & As-Saber, Sharif & Edwards, Ron & Buckley, Peter, 2008. "The role of service embeddedness in the internationalisation process of manufacturing firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 442-451, August.
- Araujo, Luis & Rezende, Sergio, 2003. "Path dependence, MNCs and the internationalisation process: a relational approach," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 719-737, December.
- Huang, Ying & Sternquist, Brenda, 2007. "Retailers' foreign market entry decisions: An institutional perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 613-629, October.
- Liu, Xiaming & Xiao, Wen & Huang, Xianhai, 2008. "Bounded entrepreneurship and internationalisation of indigenous Chinese private-owned firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 488-508, August.
- Papadopoulos, Nicolas & Martín Martín, Oscar, 2010. "Toward a model of the relationship between internationalization and export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 388-406, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.