Governance in non-for-profit hospitals: Effects of board members' remuneration and expertise on CEO compensation
AbstractAlthough hospitals vary in terms of their governance structures, little research has focused on the effectiveness of these governance mechanisms through the study of executive contracting. Using a sample of 80 non-for-profit private hospitals in the Netherlands, I investigate whether differences in governance structures of hospitals are informative for explaining the variations in chief executive pay. After controlling for important economic determinants of CEO compensation in hospitals (i.e., type and size of the hospital, CEO type and job complexity, market conditions and performance attributes), the results suggest that CEOs on average earn more (1) when the hospital's supervisory board members receive more remuneration (a higher absolute as well as an excessive remuneration) and (2) when supervisory board members have a lower level of expertise. The findings suggest that supervisory boards are more effective in controlling agency problems (i.e., aligning CEO pay to economic conditions) when their members have more expertise, but at the same time that the monitoring function is hampered when supervisory board members receive a large (excessive) remuneration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Health Policy.
Volume (Year): 93 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/healthpol
CEO compensation Non-profit Hospitals Supervisory boards Governance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988.
"The Distribution Of The Instrumental Variables Estimator And Its T-Ratio When The Instrument Is A Poor One,"
88-07, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Nelson, Charles R & Startz, Richard, 1990. "The Distribution of the Instrumental Variables Estimator and Its t-Ratio When the Instrument Is a Poor One," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(1), pages S125-40, January.
- Nelson, C. & Startz, R., 1988. "The Distribution Of The Instrumental Variables Estimator And Its T-Ratio When The Instrument Is A Poor One," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 88-07, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Charles R. Nelson & Richard Startz, 1988. "The Distribution of the Instrumental Variables Estimator and Its t-RatioWhen the Instrument is a Poor One," NBER Technical Working Papers 0069, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berry, Tammy K. & Paige Fields, L. & Wilkins, Michael S., 2006. "The interaction among multiple governance mechanisms in young newly public firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 449-466, June.
- Gilson, Stuart C & Vetsuypens, Michael R, 1993. " CEO Compensation in Financially Distressed Firms: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(2), pages 425-58, June.
- Brickley, James A & Van Horn, R Lawrence, 2002. "Managerial Incentives in Nonprofit Organizations: Evidence from Hospitals," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(1), pages 227-49, April.
- Chinmoy Ghosh & C. Sirmans, 2005. "On REIT CEO Compensation: Does Board Structure Matter?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 30(4), pages 397-428, June.
- Pizzini, Mina J., 2006. "The relation between cost-system design, managers' evaluations of the relevance and usefulness of cost data, and financial performance: an empirical study of US hospitals," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 179-210, February.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin, 2005. "Trends in Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2351-2384, October.
- Linn, Scott C. & Park, Daniel, 2005. "Outside director compensation policy and the investment opportunity set," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 680-715, September.
- Hausman, Jerry A, 1978.
"Specification Tests in Econometrics,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1251-71, November.
- Preyra, Colin & Pink, George, 2001. "Balancing incentives in the compensation contracts of nonprofit hospital CEOs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 509-525, July.
- Suthummanon, Sakesun & Omachonu, Vincent K., 2008. "Cost minimization models: Applications in a teaching hospital," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 186(3), pages 1175-1183, May.
- Adams, Renée B. & Ferreira, Daniel, 2008. "Do directors perform for pay?," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 154-171, September.
- Eliezer M. Fitch & Lawrence J. White, 2001.
"Why Do CEO's Reciprocally Sit On Each Other's Boards?,"
01-03, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Fich, Eliezer M. & White, Lawrence J., 2005. "Why do CEOs reciprocally sit on each other's boards?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-2), pages 175-195, March.
- Eeckloo, Kristof & Van Herck, Gustaaf & Van Hulle, Cynthia & Vleugels, Arthur, 2004. "From Corporate Governance To Hospital Governance.: Authority, transparency and accountability of Belgian non-profit hospitals' board and management," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 1-15, April.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1993.
" The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 831-80, July.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1994. "The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, And The Failure Of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 6(4), pages 4-23.
- Michael C. Jensen, 2010. "The Modern Industrial Revolution, Exit, and the Failure of Internal Control Systems," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 22(1), pages 43-58.
- Ballou, Jeffrey P. & Weisbrod, Burton A., 2003. "Managerial rewards and the behavior of for-profit, governmental, and nonprofit organizations: evidence from the hospital industry," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(9-10), pages 1895-1920, September.
- Scholten, Gerard R.M. & Grinten, TED van der, 2005. "The integration of medical specialists in hospitals. Dutch hospitals and medical specialists on the road to joint regulation," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 165-173, May.
- Anderson, Ronald C. & Mansi, Sattar A. & Reeb, David M., 2004. "Board characteristics, accounting report integrity, and the cost of debt," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 315-342, September.
- Gloria J. Bazzoli & Hsueh-Fen Chen & Mei Zhao & Richard C. Lindrooth, 2008. "Hospital financial condition and the quality of patient care," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(8), pages 977-995.
- Eldenburg, Leslie & Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Weisbach, Michael S. & Wosinska, Marta, 2004. "Governance, performance objectives and organizational form: evidence from hospitals," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 527-548, September.
- Farrell, Kathleen A. & Friesen, Geoffrey C. & Hersch, Philip L., 2008. "How do firms adjust director compensation?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 153-162, April.
- Leone, Andrew J. & Van Horn, R. Lawrence, 2005. "How do nonprofit hospitals manage earnings?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 815-837, July.
- Bouillon, Marvin L. & Ferrier, Gary D. & Stuebs, Martin Jr. & West, Timothy D., 2006. "The economic benefit of goal congruence and implications for management control systems," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 265-298.
- Eldenburg, Leslie & Krishnan, Ranjani, 2003. "Public versus private governance: a study of incentives and operational performance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 377-404, August.
- Yu, Fang (Frank), 2008. "Analyst coverage and earnings management," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 245-271, May.
- Garen Markarian & Antonio Parbonetti, 2007. "Firm Complexity and Board of Director Composition," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 1224-1243, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.