Do non-profit nursing homes separate governance roles?: The impact of size and ownership characteristics
AbstractSeparation between operational responsibilities and those of oversight is an important point of discussion in governance. Novel to the literature, this paper not only offers direct evidence on the degree of separation, but also shows its relationship with size (ceteris paribus efficiency prescribes that large organizations implement more separation) and ownership characteristics of non-profit institutions. Using a sample of Belgian (Flemish) nursing homes, we find that in private nursing homes this separation increases with size while this is not the case in public homes. We document that this lack in flexibility in governance practices explains the micro-monitoring in public institutions. We formulate policy implications and suggest solutions to create more flexibility and likely also better governance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Health Policy.
Volume (Year): 90 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2-3 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/healthpol
Governance Nursing homes Management Public sector Organization;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katherine O'Regan & Sharon Oster, 2002. "Does government funding alter nonprofit governance? Evidence from New York City nonprofit contractors," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(3), pages 359-379.
- Eddy Cardinaels & Filip Roodhooft & Gustaaf Van Herck, 2004.
"Drivers of cost system development in hospitals: results of a survey,"
Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series
2004-09, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Cardinaels, Eddy & Roodhooft, Filip & Herck, Gustaaf van, 2004. "Drivers of cost system development in hospitals: results of a survey," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 239-252, August.
- Wagner, Cordula & Klein Ikkink, Karen & van der Wal, Gerrit & Spreeuwenberg, Peter & de Bakker, Dinny Herman & Groenewegen, Peter Paulus, 2006. "Quality management systems and clinical outcomes in Dutch nursing homes," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 75(2), pages 230-240, January.
- Eldenburg, Leslie & Krishnan, Ranjani, 2003. "Public versus private governance: a study of incentives and operational performance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 377-404, August.
- Owen Lamont, 1996.
"Cash Flow and Investment: Evidence from Internal Capital Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
5499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lamont, Owen, 1997. " Cash Flow and Investment: Evidence from Internal Capital Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 83-109, March.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines, 2004.
"A Multinational Perspective on Capital Structure Choice and Internal Capital Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 59(6), pages 2451-2487, December.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines, Jr., 2003. "A Multinational Perspective on Capital Structure Choice and Internal Capital Markets," NBER Working Papers 9715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ping-Sheng Koh & Stacie Kelley Laplante & Yen H. Tong, 2007. "Accountability and value enhancement roles of corporate governance," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 47(2), pages 305-333.
- Eeckloo, Kristof & Van Herck, Gustaaf & Van Hulle, Cynthia & Vleugels, Arthur, 2004. "From Corporate Governance To Hospital Governance.: Authority, transparency and accountability of Belgian non-profit hospitals' board and management," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 1-15, April.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1988. " Corporate Finance and Corporate Governance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 567-91, July.
- William D. Spector & Thomas M. Selden & Joel W. Cohen, 1998. "The impact of ownership type on nursing home outcomes," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(7), pages 639-653.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Agency Problems and Residual Claims," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 327-49, June.
- Chris Cornforth, 2001. "What Makes Boards Effective? An examination of the relationships between board inputs, structures, processes and effectiveness in non-profit organisations," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 217-227, 07.
- Arnoud W. A. Boot & Radhakrishnan Gopalan & Anjan V. Thakor, 2006. "The Entrepreneur's Choice between Private and Public Ownership," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 803-836, 04.
- Chou, Shin-Yi, 2002. "Asymmetric information, ownership and quality of care: an empirical analysis of nursing homes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 293-311, March.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Pauline Vaillancourt Rosenau & Stephen H. Linder, 2003. "Two Decades of Research Comparing For-Profit and Nonprofit Health Provider Performance in the United States," Social Science Quarterly, Southwestern Social Science Association, vol. 84(2), pages 219-241.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2004. "An Empirical Analysis of Cost Efficiency in Non-profit and Public Nursing Homes," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 75(3), pages 339-365, 09.
- Eldenburg, Leslie & Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Weisbach, Michael S. & Wosinska, Marta, 2004. "Governance, performance objectives and organizational form: evidence from hospitals," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 527-548, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei) or () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.