Reforming reimbursement of public hospitals in Greece during the economic crisis: Implementation of a DRG system
AbstractUntil recently, in-patient NHS hospital care in Greece was reimbursed via an anachronistic and under-priced retrospective per diem system, which has been held primarily responsible for continuous budget deficits. The purpose of this paper is to present the efforts of the Ministry of Health (MoH) to implement a new DRG-based payment system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Health Policy.
Volume (Year): 109 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/healthpol
Financing; Hospitals; DRGs; Financial crisis; Efficiency; Greece;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anni Ankjær-Jensen & Pernille Rosling & Lone Bilde, 2006. "Variable prospective financing in the Danish hospital sector and the development of a Danish case-mix system," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 259-268, August.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter C. Smith, 2008. "Variability in healthcare treatment costs amongst nine EU countries - results from the Health BASKET project," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(S1), pages S1-S8.
- J. Oostenbrink & F. Rutten, 2006. "Cost assessment and price setting of inpatient care in the Netherlands. The DBC case-mix system," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 287-294, August.
- Leemore S. Dafny, 2005. "How Do Hospitals Respond to Price Changes?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1525-1547, December.
- Kutzin, Joseph, 2001. "A descriptive framework for country-level analysis of health care financing arrangements," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 171-204, June.
- Adam Kozierkiewicz & Maciej Stamirski & Waldemar Stylo & Wojciech Trąbka, 2006. "The definition of prices for inpatient care in Poland in the absence of cost data," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 281-286, August.
- David M. Cutler, 1993.
"The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes Under Prospective Payments,"
NBER Working Papers
4300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cutler, David M, 1995. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes under Prospective Payment," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 29-50, January.
- Cutler, D.M., 1992. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcome Under Prospective Payment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1603, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Giovanni Fattore & Aleksandra Torbica, 2006. "Inpatient reimbursement system in Italy: How do tariffs relate to costs?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 251-258, August.
- David Epstein & Anne Mason, 2006. "Costs and prices for inpatient care in England: Mirror twins or distant cousins?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 233-242, August.
- Martine Bellanger & Laurent Tardif, 2006. "Accounting and reimbursement schemes for inpatient care in France," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 295-305, August.
- Jonas Schreyögg & Oliver Tiemann & Reinhard Busse, 2006. "Cost accounting to determine prices: How well do prices reflect costs in the German DRG-system?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 269-279, August.
- Elias Mossialos & Sara Allin & Konstantina Davaki, 2005. "Analysing the Greek health system: a tale of fragmentation and inertia," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages S151-S168.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003.
"Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
374, OECD Publishing.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003. "Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience," OECD Health Working Papers 9, OECD Publishing.
- Peter Gaal & Nóra Stefka & Júlia Nagy, 2006. "Cost accounting methodologies in price setting of acute inpatient services in Hungary," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 243-250, August.
- Hamada, Hironori & Sekimoto, Miho & Imanaka, Yuichi, 2012. "Effects of the per diem prospective payment system with DRG-like grouping system (DPC/PDPS) on resource usage and healthcare quality in Japan," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 194-201.
- Fernando Sánchez-Martínez & José-María Abellán-Perpiñán & Jorge-Eduardo Martínez-Pérez & Jaume Puig-Junoy, 2006. "Cost accounting and public reimbursement schemes in Spanish hospitals," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 225-232, August.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter Smith, 2006. "Editorial: Hospital case payment systems in Europe," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-213, August.
- Ghaffari, Shahram & Jackson, Terri J. & Doran, Christopher M. & Wilson, Andrew & Aisbett, Chris, 2008. "Describing Iranian hospital activity using Australian Refined DRGs: A case study of the Iranian Social Security Organisation," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 63-71, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei) or () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.