Reforming reimbursement of public hospitals in Greece during the economic crisis: Implementation of a DRG system
AbstractUntil recently, in-patient NHS hospital care in Greece was reimbursed via an anachronistic and under-priced retrospective per diem system, which has been held primarily responsible for continuous budget deficits. The purpose of this paper is to present the efforts of the Ministry of Health (MoH) to implement a new DRG-based payment system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Health Policy.
Volume (Year): 109 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/healthpol
Financing; Hospitals; DRGs; Financial crisis; Efficiency; Greece;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Epstein & Anne Mason, 2006. "Costs and prices for inpatient care in England: Mirror twins or distant cousins?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 233-242, August.
- Ghaffari, Shahram & Jackson, Terri J. & Doran, Christopher M. & Wilson, Andrew & Aisbett, Chris, 2008. "Describing Iranian hospital activity using Australian Refined DRGs: A case study of the Iranian Social Security Organisation," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 63-71, July.
- Cutler, David M, 1995.
"The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes under Prospective Payment,"
Econometric Society, vol. 63(1), pages 29-50, January.
- Cutler, D.M., 1992. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcome Under Prospective Payment," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1603, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- David M. Cutler, 1993. "The Incidence of Adverse Medical Outcomes Under Prospective Payments," NBER Working Papers 4300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003.
"Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
374, OECD Publishing.
- Elizabeth Docteur & Howard Oxley, 2003. "Health-Care Systems: Lessons from the Reform Experience," OECD Health Working Papers 9, OECD Publishing.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter C. Smith, 2008. "Variability in healthcare treatment costs amongst nine EU countries - results from the Health BASKET project," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(S1), pages S1-S8.
- Elias Mossialos & Sara Allin & Konstantina Davaki, 2005. "Analysing the Greek health system: a tale of fragmentation and inertia," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages S151-S168.
- Martine Bellanger & Laurent Tardif, 2006. "Accounting and reimbursement schemes for inpatient care in France," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 295-305, August.
- Fernando Sánchez-Martínez & José-María Abellán-Perpiñán & Jorge-Eduardo Martínez-Pérez & Jaume Puig-Junoy, 2006. "Cost accounting and public reimbursement schemes in Spanish hospitals," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 225-232, August.
- Jonas Schreyögg & Oliver Tiemann & Reinhard Busse, 2006. "Cost accounting to determine prices: How well do prices reflect costs in the German DRG-system?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 269-279, August.
- Anni Ankjær-Jensen & Pernille Rosling & Lone Bilde, 2006. "Variable prospective financing in the Danish hospital sector and the development of a Danish case-mix system," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 259-268, August.
- Reinhard Busse & Jonas Schreyögg & Peter Smith, 2006. "Editorial: Hospital case payment systems in Europe," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 211-213, August.
- Hamada, Hironori & Sekimoto, Miho & Imanaka, Yuichi, 2012. "Effects of the per diem prospective payment system with DRG-like grouping system (DPC/PDPS) on resource usage and healthcare quality in Japan," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 194-201.
- Adam Kozierkiewicz & Maciej Stamirski & Waldemar Stylo & Wojciech Trąbka, 2006. "The definition of prices for inpatient care in Poland in the absence of cost data," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 281-286, August.
- Kutzin, Joseph, 2001. "A descriptive framework for country-level analysis of health care financing arrangements," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 171-204, June.
- J. Oostenbrink & F. Rutten, 2006. "Cost assessment and price setting of inpatient care in the Netherlands. The DBC case-mix system," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 287-294, August.
- Peter Gaal & Nóra Stefka & Júlia Nagy, 2006. "Cost accounting methodologies in price setting of acute inpatient services in Hungary," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 243-250, August.
- Giovanni Fattore & Aleksandra Torbica, 2006. "Inpatient reimbursement system in Italy: How do tariffs relate to costs?," Health Care Management Science, Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 251-258, August.
- Leemore S. Dafny, 2005. "How Do Hospitals Respond to Price Changes?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(5), pages 1525-1547, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier) or ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.