Acquisitions from UK firms into emerging markets
AbstractThe paper investigates acquisitions into emerging markets from UK acquirers during the period 1992 to 2003. We find that large firms experiencing slower growth in the domestic market, but possessing more liquid assets have a higher likelihood of making acquisitions in emerging markets. When we use firms making acquisitions only in the domestic and developed markets as control samples, we find in both cases that whilst firm size has a positive impact, the transaction value relative to the size of the acquirer has a negative effect on the probability of acquisitions. Finally, the evidence suggests that corporate governance quality of target nations affect acquisition decisions but the impact differs across different geographical regions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Global Finance Journal.
Volume (Year): 19 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620162
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Roll, Richard, 1986. "The Hubris Hypothesis of Corporate Takeovers," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(2), pages 197-216, April.
- Kortas, Mohamed & L'Her, Jean-Francois & Roberge, Mathieu, 2005. "Country selection of emerging equity markets: benefits from country attribute diversification," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 1-19, April.
- Schlingemann, Frederik P. & Stulz, Rene M. & Walkling, Ralph A., 2002. "Divestitures and the liquidity of the market for corporate assets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 117-144, April.
- Gregory, Alan & McCorriston, Steve, 2005. "Foreign acquisitions by UK limited companies: short- and long-run performance," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 99-125, January.
- Rondinelli, Dennis & Rosen, Benson & Drori, Israel, 2001. "The struggle for strategic alignment in multinational corporations:: Managing readjustment during global expansion," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 404-416, August.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, .
"Law and Finance,"
19451, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," NBER Working Papers 5661, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1998. "Law and Finance," Scholarly Articles 3451310, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Rafael LaPorta & Florencio Lopez de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996. "Law and Finance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1768, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jarrad Harford, 1999. "Corporate Cash Reserves and Acquisitions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 1969-1997, December.
- M. S. B. Aw & R. A. Chatterjee, 2004. "The performance of UK firms acquiring large cross-border and domestic takeover targets," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(5), pages 337-349.
- Chen, Chao & Su, Robert, 1997. "Do cross-border acquisitions of U.S. targets differ from U.S. domestic takeover targets?," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 71-82.
- Robert L Conn & Andy Cosh & Paul M Guest & Alan Hughes, 2003.
"The Impact on U.K. Acquirers of Domestic, Cross-border, Public and Private Acquisitions,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp276, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Robert L. Conn & Andy Cosh & Paul M. Guest & Alan Hughes, 2005. "The Impact on UK Acquirers of Domestic, Cross-border, Public and Private Acquisitions," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5-6), pages 815-870.
- Anju Seth & Kean P Song & Richardson Pettit, 2000. "Synergy, Managerialism or Hubris? An Empirical Examination of Motives for Foreign Acquisitions of U.S. Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(3), pages 387-405, September.
- Chow, Edward H & Lee, Wayne Y & Solt, Michael E, 1997. "The Exchange-Rate Risk Exposure of Asset Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 70(1), pages 105-23, January.
- Randall Morck & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1988.
"Alternative Mechanisms for Corporate Control,"
NBER Working Papers
2532, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall Morck & Andrel Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1988. "Alternative Mechanisms for Corporate Control," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 52, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Espahbodi, Hassan & Espahbodi, Pouran, 2003. "Binary choice models and corporate takeover," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 549-574, April.
- Palepu, Krishna G., 1986. "Predicting takeover targets : A methodological and empirical analysis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-35, March.
- Rossi, Stefano & Volpin, Paolo F., 2004. "Cross-country determinants of mergers and acquisitions," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 277-304, November.
- Muller, Aline & Verschoor, Willem F.C., 2007. "Asian foreign exchange risk exposure," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 16-37, March.
- Mateo Vasco & Lina M. Cortés & Sandra C. Gaitán & Iván A. Durán, 2012. "Aplicación del modelo gravitacional al impacto del gobierno corporativo en las fusiones y adquisiciones en Latinoamérica," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO CIEF 010709, UNIVERSIDAD EAFIT.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.