Private provision of discrete public goods
AbstractWe investigate private provision of discrete public goods under refund and cost-sharing. If it is commonly believed that individuals may be warm-glow altruists and the group-size is a Poisson random variable, then the equilibrium distribution of collected contributions is uniquely determined. If composition uncertainty is very small and the expected group-size sufficiently large, the distribution of contributions can be described by concentrating in a symmetric mixed-strategy equilibrium. As the expected group-size increases, the probability a randomly selected player contributes and the associated expected number of contributions converge to the corresponding ones in the symmetric mixed-strategy equilibrium of the game with no uncertainty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Games and Economic Behavior.
Volume (Year): 67 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622836
Discrete public goods Warm-glow altruism Poisson games;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miltiadis Makris, 2006.
"Complementarities and Macroeconomics: Poisson Games,"
0602, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Makris, Miltiadis, 2008. "Complementarities and macroeconomics: Poisson games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 180-189, January.
- Palfrey, Thomas R. & Rosenthal, Howard, 1984. "Participation and the provision of discrete public goods: a strategic analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-193, July.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1994.
"Population Uncertainty and Poisson Games,"
1102R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Roger B. Myerson, 1997.
"Large Poisson Games,"
1189, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hindriks, Jean & Pancs, Romans, 2002.
" Free Riding on Altruism and Group Size,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 4(3), pages 335-46.
- Palfrey, Thomas R. & Rosenthal, Howard, 1988. "Private incentives in social dilemmas : The effects of incomplete information and altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 309-332, April.
- Young, H Peyton, 1993. "The Evolution of Conventions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 57-84, January.
- Dixit, Avinash & Olson, Mancur, 2000. "Does voluntary participation undermine the Coase Theorem?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 309-335, June.
- Andreoni, James, 1988. "Privately provided public goods in a large economy: The limits of altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-73, February.
- Gradstein, Mark, 1998. "Provision of public goods in a large economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 229-234, November.
- Toke Aidt & Francesco Giovannoni, 2011.
"Critical decisions and constitutional rules,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 219-268, July.
- Hong, Fuhai & Karp, Larry, 2012.
"International Environmental Agreements with Mixed Strategies and Investment,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt0xf976x1, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Hong, Fuhai & Karp, Larry, 2012. "International Environmental Agreements with mixed strategies and investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(9-10), pages 685-697.
- Hong, Fuhai & Karp, Larry, 2012. "International environmental agreements with mixed strategies and investment," CUDARE Working Paper Series 1129, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.