Bilateral foreign direct investment in forest industry between the U.S. and Canada
AbstractIn this study we examine the trends and various factors influencing bilateral foreign direct investment (FDI) in the U.S. and Canadian forest industry between 1989 and 2008. Using panel data analysis methods, we find that bilateral FDI is positively influenced by depreciation of host country's real exchange rates and exchange rate volatility, and home country's forest product imports and exports and round wood production, and negatively by home country's GDP, current outward FDI position in the rest of the world, and current domestic capital expenditure has no effect on the FDI in the forest industry. These results imply that both imports and exports are complementary to outward FDI and that bilateral FDI is a substitute of FDI to the rest of the word.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Forest Policy and Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/forpol
Foreign direct investment Forest products trade Real exchange rate Exchange rate volatility Domestic capital expenditure;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- XING, Yuqing, 2006.
"Why is China so attractive for FDI? The role of exchange rates,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 198-209.
- Yuqing Xing, 2004. "Why is China so Attractive for FDI The Role of Exchange Rates," Working Papers EMS_2004_04, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Campa, Joe Manuel, 1993. "Entry by Foreign Firms in the United States under Exchange Rate Uncertainty," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 614-22, November.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 1999.
"In Search of Substitution Between Foreign Production and Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
7154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A., 2001. "In search of substitution between foreign production and exports," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 81-104, February.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Oxelheim, Lars & Thulin, Per, 2004.
"The Relationship between Domestic and Outward Foreign Direct Investment: The Role of Industry-Specific Effects,"
Working Paper Series
625, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Braunerhjelm, Pontus & Oxelheim, Lars & Thulin, Per, 2005. "The relationship between domestic and outward foreign direct investment: The role of industry-specific effects," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 677-694, December.
- Alan Rugman, 1980. "Internalization as a general theory of foreign direct investment: A re-appraisal of the literature," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 116(2), pages 365-379, June.
- Steven Globerman & Daniel M Shapiro, 1999. "The Impact of Government Policies on Foreign Direct Investment: The Canadian Experience," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 30(3), pages 513-532, September.
- Mihir C. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines Jr., 2005.
"Foreign Direct Investment and the Domestic Capital Stock,"
NBER Working Papers
11075, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines Jr., 2005. "Foreign Direct Investment and the Domestic Capital Stock," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 33-38, May.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
NBER Working Papers
11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- Martin Feldstein, 1994.
"The Effects of Outbound Foreign Direct Investment on the Domestic Capital Stock,"
NBER Working Papers
4668, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin S. Feldstein, 1995. "The Effects of Outbound Foreign Direct Investment on the Domestic Capital Stock," NBER Chapters, in: The Effects of Taxation on Multinational Corporations, pages 43-66 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cushman, David O, 1985. "Real Exchange Rate Risk, Expectations, and the Level of Direct Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(2), pages 297-308, May.
- Froot, Kenneth A & Stein, Jeremy C, 1991.
"Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1191-217, November.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992. "Exchange Rates and Foreign Direct Investment: An Imperfect Capital Markets Approach," NBER Working Papers 2914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Linda S, 1993. "Exchange Rates and Investment in United States Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 75(4), pages 575-88, November.
- Kozo Kiyota & Shujiro Urata, 2004. "Exchange Rate, Exchange Rate Volatility and Foreign Direct Investment," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(10), pages 1501-1536, November.
- Christian Schmidt & Udo Broll, 2009. "Real exchange-rate uncertainty and US foreign direct investment: an empirical analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(3), pages 513-530, October.
- Laaksonen-Craig, Susanna, 2004. "Foreign direct investments in the forest sector: implications for sustainable forest management in developed and developing countries," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3-4), pages 359-370, June.
- Kun-Ming CHEN & Hsiu-Hua RAU & Chia-Ching LIN, 2006. "The Impact Of Exchange Rate Movements On Foreign Direct Investment: Market-Oriented Versus Cost-Oriented," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 44(3), pages 269-287.
- Chakrabarti, Avik, 2001. "The Determinants of Foreign Direct Investment: Sensitivity Analyses of Cross-Country Regressions," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 89-113.
- Zhang, Yijing & Toppinen, Anne & Uusivuori, Jussi, 2014. "Internationalization of the forest products industry: A synthesis of literature and implications for future research," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 8-16.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.