Procyclical implications of Basel II: Can the cyclicality of capital requirements be contained?
AbstractWhile the current capital adequacy framework, Basel II, aims to make banks' capital requirements more sensitive to the underlying risk of the assets, it may also introduce an additional source of procyclicality in the banking sector. In this paper we assess the potential cyclicality of Basel II for the entire bank portfolio. This is in contrast to previous studies which have taken into account only parts of banks' assets, and also neglected the potential cyclicality of bank capital. We apply a detailed data set covering a relatively long period to analyse the cyclicality of both bank capital and Basel II capital requirements. Moreover, we employ a more comprehensive system of models than applied in the existing literature. Consistent with previous evidence, we find a substantial increase in the calculated Basel II capital requirements at the same time as bank capital deteriorates in a recession scenario. However, we also find that the cyclicality of Basel II capital requirements may be effectively contained if risk weightings are based on a sufficiently long observation period which includes economic downturns.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Stability.
Volume (Year): 7 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jfstabil
Basel II Procyclicality Capital positions;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Dierick & Fatima Pires & Martin Scheicher & Kai Gereon Spitzer, 2005. "The New Basel Capital Framework and its implementation in the European Union," Occasional Paper Series 42, European Central Bank.
- Jokipii, Terhi & Milne, Alistair, 2011.
"Bank capital buffer and risk adjustment decisions,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 165-178, August.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P.Tsomocos, 2003.
"Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - Banks' choice of loan rating system,"
OFRC Working Papers Series
2003fe06, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2002. "Procyclicality and the New Basel Accord: banks' choice of loan rating system," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios Tsomocos, 2005. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - banks’ choice of loan rating system," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 537-557, October.
- Dimitrios P Tsomocos & Eva Catarineu-Rabell, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - Banks` choice of loan rating system," Economics Series Working Papers 2003-FE-06, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord–banks’ choice of loan rating system," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24863, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson & Dimitrios P Tsomocos, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord - banks' choice of loan rating system," Bank of England working papers 181, Bank of England.
- Dimitrios Tsomocos & Eva Catarineu-Rabell & Patricia Jackson, 2003. "Procyclicality and the new Basel Accord–banks’ choice of loan rating system," FMG Discussion Papers dp464, Financial Markets Group.
- Jaap Bikker & Paul Metzemakers, 2004.
"Is bank capital procyclical? A cross-country analysis,"
DNB Working Papers
009, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Jacob A. Bikker & Paul A. J. Metzemakers, 2007. "Is Bank Capital Procyclical? A Cross-Country Analysis," Credit and Capital Markets, Credit and Capital Markets, vol. 40(2), pages 225-264.
- Ayuso, Juan & Perez, Daniel & Saurina, Jesus, 2004. "Are capital buffers pro-cyclical?: Evidence from Spanish panel data," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 249-264, April.
- Charles Goodhart & Boris Hofmann & Miguel Segoviano, 2004. "Bank Regulation and Macroeconomic Fluctuations," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(4), pages 591-615, Winter.
- Henrik Andersen & Sigbjørn Atle Berg & Eilev S. Jansen, 2008. "The dynamics of operating income in the Norwegian banking sector," Working Paper 2008/13, Norges Bank.
- Jokivuolle, Esa & Virolainen, Kimmo & Vähämaa, Oskari, 2008. "Macro-model-based stress testing of Basel II capital requirements," Research Discussion Papers 17/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Bardsen, Gunnar & Eitrheim, Oyvind & Jansen, Eilev S. & Nymoen, Ragnar, 2005. "The Econometrics of Macroeconomic Modelling," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199246502.
- Henrik Andersen, 2008. "Failure prediction of Norwegian banks: A Logit approach," Working Paper 2008/02, Norges Bank.
- Anil Kashyap & Jeremy C. Stein, 2004. "Cyclical implications of the Basel II capital standards," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Q I, pages 18-31.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2010.
"Assessing the systemic risk of a heterogeneous portfolio of banks during the recent financial crisis,"
BIS Working Papers
296, Bank for International Settlements.
- Huang, Xin & Zhou, Hao & Zhu, Haibin, 2012. "Assessing the systemic risk of a heterogeneous portfolio of banks during the recent financial crisis," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 193-205.
- Xin Huang & Hao Zhou & Haibin Zhu, 2009. "Assessing the systemic risk of a heterogeneous portfolio of banks during the recent financial crisis," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2009-44, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Anundsen, André K. & Jansen, Eilev S., 2013. "Self-reinforcing effects between housing prices and credit," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 192-212.
- Riccetti, Luca & Russo, Alberto & Mauro, Gallegati, 2013. "Financial Regulation in an Agent Based Macroeconomic Model," MPRA Paper 51013, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wall, Larry D., 2013.
"Measuring capital adequacy supervisory stress tests in a Basel world,"
2013-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Wall, Larry, 2014. "Measuring capital adequacy: supervisory stress-tests in a Basel world," Journal of Financial Perspectives, EY Global FS Institute, vol. 2(1), pages 85-94.
- Paolo Tasca & Stefano Battiston, .
"Market Procyclicality and Systemic Risk,"
ETH-RC-12-012, ETH Zurich, Chair of Systems Design.
- Clara Cardone-Riportella & Antonio Trujillo-Ponce & Anahí Briozzo, 2013. "Analyzing the role of mutual guarantee societies on bank capital requirements for small and medium-sized enterprises," Journal of Economic Policy Reform, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 142-159, June.
- Markus Behn & Rainer Haselmann & Paul Wachtel, 2013. "Pro-Cyclical Capital Regulation and Lending," Working Papers 13-11, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Rossignolo, Adrian F. & Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Shaban, Mohamed, 2012. "Value-at-Risk models and Basel capital charges," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 303-319.
- André K. Anundsen & Eilev S. Jansen, 2013. "Self-reinforcing effects between housing prices and credit: an extended version," Discussion Papers 756, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.