Group affiliation and the performance of IPOs in the Indian stock market
AbstractWe document the effects of group affiliation on the initial performance of 2,713 initial public offerings (IPOs) in India under three regulatory regimes during the period 1990-2004. We distinguish between two competing hypotheses regarding group affiliation: the "certification" and the "tunneling" hypotheses. We lend support to the latter by showing that the underpricing of business group companies is higher than that of stand-alone companies. Furthermore, we find that the long-run performance of IPOs, in general, is negative. We also find that Indian investors over-react to IPOs and their over-reaction (proxied by the oversubscription rate) explains the extent of underpricing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Financial Markets.
Volume (Year): 13 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/finmar
Initial public offering (IPO) Underpricing Business groups Certification Tunneling;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Harrison Hong & Jeremy C. Stein, 1999.
"A Unified Theory of Underreaction, Momentum Trading, and Overreaction in Asset Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 54(6), pages 2143-2184, December.
- Harrison Hong & Jeremy C. Stein, 1997. "A Unified Theory of Underreaction, Momentum Trading and Overreaction in Asset Markets," NBER Working Papers 6324, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dewenter, Kathryn & Novaes, Walter & Pettway, Richard H, 2001. "Visibility versus Complexity in Business Groups: Evidence from Japanese Keiretsu," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(1), pages 79-100, January.
- Hamao, Yasushi & Packer, Frank & Ritter, Jay R., 2000.
"Institutional affiliation and the role of venture capital: Evidence from initial public offerings in Japan,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 529-558, October.
- Yasushi Hamao & Frank Packer & Jay Ritter, 1998. "Institutional affiliation and the role of venture capital: evidence from initial public offerings in Japan," Research Paper 9807, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Yasushi Hamao & Frank Packer & Jay R. Ritter, 1998. "Institutional affiliation and the role of venture capital: evidence from initial public offerings in Japan," Staff Reports 52, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Alon Brav & Christopher Geczy & Paul A. Gompers, .
"Is the Abnormal Return Following Equity Issuances Anomalous?,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
02-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Brav, Alon & Geczy, Christopher & Gompers, Paul A., 2000. "Is the abnormal return following equity issuances anomalous?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 209-249, May.
- Alon Brav & Christopher Geczy & Paul A. Gompers, . "Is the Abnormal Return Following Equity Issuances Anomalous?," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 2-99, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Amiyatosh K. Purnanandam, 2004. "Are IPOs Really Underpriced?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(3), pages 811-848.
- Chemmanur, Thomas J. & Paeglis, Imants, 2005. "Management quality, certification, and initial public offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 331-368, May.
- Marianne Bertrand & Paras Mehta & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002.
"Ferreting Out Tunneling: An Application To Indian Business Groups,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 121-148, February.
- Marianne Bertrand & Paras Mehta & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2000. "Ferreting Out Tunneling: An Application to Indian Business Groups," NBER Working Papers 7952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ranko Jelic & Richard Briston, 1999. "Hungarian Privatisation Strategy and Financial Performance of Privatised Companies," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1319-1357.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R. & Rydqvist, Kristian, 1995.
"Initial public offerings: International insights,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 139-140, May.
- Bruno Biais & Enrico Perotti, 2002. "Machiavellian Privatization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 240-258, March.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1984. "The "Hot Issue" Market of 1980," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(2), pages 215-40, April.
- Hyun-Han Shin & René M. Stulz, 1998. "Are Internal Capital Markets Efficient?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(2), pages 531-552, May.
- Chowdhry, Bhagwan & Sherman, Ann, 1996. "International differences in oversubscription and underpricing of IPOs," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(4), pages 359-381, July.
- Nicholas Barberis & Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1997.
"A Model of Investor Sentiment,"
NBER Working Papers
5926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shelly W. Howton, 2006. "Effect of Governance Characteristics on the State of the Firm after an Initial Public Offering," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 419-433, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.