Share price clustering in Mexico
AbstractIn this paper, we test the share price clustering phenomena and its determinants for the Mexican share market. We consider the top-12 listed companies. We observe cases of significant price clustering behaviour in the Mexican share market. Our analysis of the determinants of price clustering reveals that volume and volatility negatively impact price clustering, consistent with theory. However, own price has a negative effect on price clustering. While this is inconsistent with theory, it implies that in Mexico market participants are concerned about finer partitions of price.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Review of Financial Analysis.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620166
Price clustering Share market Mexico;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brown, Philip & Chua, Angeline & Mitchell, Jason, 2002. "The influence of cultural factors on price clustering: Evidence from Asia-Pacific stock markets," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 307-332, June.
- Donaldson, R.G., 1990. "International Evidence On Psychological Barriers In Asset Prices And The Efficient Market Hypothesis," Papers 116, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Ash & Levine, Ross, 1996.
"Stock Market Development and Financial Intermediaries: Stylized Facts,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 291-321, May.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Levine, Ross, 1995. "Stock market development and financial intermediaries : stylized facts," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1462, The World Bank.
- Sopranzetti, Ben J. & Datar, Vinay, 2002. "Price clustering in foreign exchange spot markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 411-417, October.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1991. "Stock Price Clustering and Discreteness," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(3), pages 389-415.
- Chen, Gong-meng & Firth, Michael & Meng Rui, Oliver, 2002. "Stock market linkages: Evidence from Latin America," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1113-1141, June.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Mo Chaudhury, 2007. "Price clustering in the CAC 40 index options market," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(15), pages 1201-1210.
- Hanson, Samuel G. & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Schuermann, Til, 2008.
"Firm heterogeneity and credit risk diversification,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 583-612, September.
- Samuel Hanson & M. Hashem Pesaran & Til Schuermann, 2005. "Firm Heterogeneity and Credit Risk Diversification," CESifo Working Paper Series 1531, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ohta, Wataru, 2006. "An analysis of intraday patterns in price clustering on the Tokyo Stock Exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1023-1039, March.
- TÃ¶rbjÃ¶rn I. Becker & Anthony J. Richards & Gaston Gelos, 2000. "Devaluation Expectations and the Stock Market - The Case of Mexico in 1994/95," IMF Working Papers 00/28, International Monetary Fund.
- G. Geoffrey Booth & Aydin Yuksel, 2006. "Price resolution in an emerging market: Evidence from the Istanbul Stock Exchange," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 137-152.
- Xiaoyan Ni, Sophie & Pearson, Neil D. & Poteshman, Allen M., 2005. "Stock price clustering on option expiration dates," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 49-87, October.
- Brown, Philip & Mitchell, Jason, 2008. "Culture and stock price clustering: Evidence from The Peoples' Republic of China," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 95-120, January.
- Ahn, Hee-Joon & Cai, Jun & Cheung, Yan Leung, 2005. "Price clustering on the limit-order book: Evidence from the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 421-451, November.
- Brocato, Joe & Smith, Kenneth L., 1992. "Evidence on the comovement of stock prices within the North American continent," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 49-59.
- Grossman, Sanford J, et al, 1997. "Clustering and Competition in Asset Markets," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 40(1), pages 23-60, April.
- He, Yan & Wu, Chunchi, 2006. "Is stock price rounded for economic reasons in the Chinese markets?," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 119-135, September.
- Riccardo Curcio & Charles Goodhart, 1991. "The Clustering of Bid/Ask Prices and the Spread in the Foreign Exchange Market," FMG Discussion Papers dp110, Financial Markets Group.
- Gottlieb, Gary & Kalay, Avner, 1985. " Implications of the Discreteness of Observed Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 135-53, March.
- ap Gwilym, Owain & Verousis, Thanos, 2010. "Price clustering and underpricing in the IPO aftermarket," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 89-97, March.
- Cooney, John Jr. & Van Ness, Bonnie & Van Ness, Robert, 2003. "Do investors prefer even-eighth prices? Evidence from NYSE limit orders," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 719-748, April.
- Jorge Gonzalez & Roger Spencer & Daniel Walz, 2003. "A contemporary analysis of Mexican stock market volatility," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(10), pages 741-745.
- Aitken, Michael & Brown, Philip & Buckland, Christine & Izan, H. Y. & Walter, Terry, 1996. "Price clustering on the Australian Stock Exchange," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 297-314, July.
- Drobetz, Wolfgang & Kugler, Peter & Wanzenried, Gabrielle & Zimmermann, Heinz, 2009. "Heterogeneity in asset allocation decisions: Empirical evidence from Switzerland," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 84-93, March.
- Verousis, Thanos & ap Gwilym, Owain, 2013. "Trade size clustering and the cost of trading at the London Stock Exchange," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 91-102.
- Paresh Kumar Narayan & Russell Smyth, 2011.
"Has political instability contributed to price clustering on Fiji's stock market?,"
Financial Econometics Series
2011_03, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Narayan, Paresh Kumar & Smyth, Russell, 2013. "Has political instability contributed to price clustering on Fiji's stock market?," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 125-130.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.