An Appraisal of Research on the Predictive Power of Market Orientation
AbstractThe majority of studies on market orientation claim compelling evidence exists that market orientation has a positive effect on business performance. This study takes a closer look at 51 studies which have addressed the relationship between market orientation and business performance between 1990 and 2002. The results show that there is no unequivocal evidence as to if and when market orientation has a positive impact on business performance. There is however some unequivocal proof, albeit limited, on how market orientation influences business performance. These findings are unsettling for academics and managers because market orientation is the foundation of marketing strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Management Journal.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/115/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Coltman, Tim & Devinney, Timothy M. & Midgley, David F. & Venaik, Sunil, 2008. "Formative versus reflective measurement models: Two applications of formative measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 61(12), pages 1250-1262, December.
- Che-Ha, Norbani & Mavondo, Felix T. & Mohd-Said, Saad, 2014. "Performance or learning goal orientation: Implications for business performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 2811-2820.
- Schlosser, Francine K. & McNaughton, Rod B., 2007. "Individual-level antecedents to market-oriented actions," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(5), pages 438-446, May.
- Lettice, Fiona & Tschida, Markus & Forstenlechner, Ingo, 2014. "Managing in an economic crisis: The role of market orientation in an international law firm," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 2693-2700.
- Gonzalez-Benito, Oscar & Gonzalez-Benito, Javier, 2008. "Implications of market orientation on the environmental transformation of industrial firms," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(4), pages 752-762, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.