A conceptual framework for understanding the outsourcing decision
AbstractOutsourcing is an increasingly important initiative being pursued by corporations in North America and Europe in pursuit of improved efficiency. This paper provides a conceptual framework to assist managers in identifying and implementing outsourcing decisions. In particular, the framework suggests a way for managers to identify the pre- and post-contractual risks associated with outsourcing decisions along with strategies that can be implemented in the pre-contractual stage in order to mitigate those risks. Empirical findings from the 'transactions cost' literature are referenced to illustrate elements of our conceptual framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Management Journal.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/115/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wang, Li Ming & Liu, Li Wen & Wang, Yong Jie, 2007. "Capacity decisions and supply price games under flexibility of backward integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 110(1-2), pages 85-96, October.
- Rosa Forte & António Brandão, 2008.
"Effects of Adverse Selection on a Multinational Firm’s Decision on where to Subcontract,"
Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 133-146, June.
- Rosa Forte & António Brandão, 2005. "Effects of Adverse Selection on a Multinational Firm's Decision on Where to Subcontract," CEF.UP Working Papers 0504, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2010.
"Choosing between foreign investment and subcontracting: Strategies of Italian firms in Romania,"
23787, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tattara, Giuseppe, 2011. "Choosing between foreign investment and subcontracting: Strategies of Italian firms in Romania," MPRA Paper 29174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Maike Scherrer-Rathje & Patricia Deflorin & Gopesh Anand, 2010. "Outsourcing and its Impact on Manufacturing Flexibility: Contingencies Matter," Working Papers 0125, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Cooper, Robin & Slagmulder, Regine, 2004. "Interorganizational cost management and relational context," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 1-26, January.
- Steven Globerman & Aidan Vining, 2004. "The Outsourcing Decision: A Strategic Framework," International Trade 0404007, EconWPA.
- Michael Siegenthaler & Tobias Stucki, 2014. "Dividing the Pie: the Determinants of Labor’s Share of Income on the Firm Level," KOF Working papers 14-352, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- P. Everaert & G. Sarens & J. Rommel, 2006. "Sourcing of Accounting: Evidence from Belgian SMEs," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/403, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.