The knowledge toolbox:: A review of the tools available to measure and manage intangible resources
AbstractGiven the increased discussion on the development of metrics to manage intangible resources, there is a need for a review of the most important tools available to managers for this purpose. This article reviews four measurement systems currently popular among practitioners: (i) human resource accounting; (ii) economic value added; (iii) the balanced scorecard; and (iv) intellectual capital. The assumptions and details of each tool are discussed, as well as the operationalisation procedures to apply them correctly. Strengths and shortcomings of each system are also analysed in order to supply 'knowledge managers' with the instruction sheet to the knowledge toolbox.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Management Journal.
Volume (Year): 17 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/115/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ramírez Córcoles, Yolanda & Santos Peñalver, Jesús F., 2013. "Propuesta de un Informe de Capital Intelectual para las instituciones de educación superior españolas/Proposal of Intellectual Capital Report to Spanish Higher Education Institutions," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 525-554, Septiembr.
- Fábio Ferreira Batista & Antonio Carlos da R. Xavier & Luiz Carlos Mendes & Gerson Rosemberg, 2007. "Gestão do Conhecimento em Organizações Públicas de Saúde," Discussion Papers 1316, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Tai-Yoo Kim & Mi-Ae Jung & Eungdo Kim & Eunnyeong Heo, 2011. "The Faster-Accelerating Growth of the Knowledge-Based Society," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201181, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2011.
- Agustín J. Sánchez Medina & Arturo Melián González & Ángel S. Gutiérrez Padrón, 2008. "Capital intelectual y territorios insulares: Una aplicación al caso de Gran Canaria," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 1, pages 205-236.
- Ferrer, Julian & Ríos, Manriquez, 2006.
"Administración del conocimiento en instituciones de educación superior. Un análisis conceptual
[Knowledge management in higher education. A conceptual analysis]," MPRA Paper 2622, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cash, Scottye J. & Ingram, Stephanie D. & Biben, Denise S. & McKeever, Shann J. & Thompson, Ronald W. & Ferrell, Jared Z., 2012. "Moving forward without looking back: Performance management systems as real-time evidence-based practice tools," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 655-659.
- Rice, Gillian, 2003. "The challenge of creativity and culture: a framework for analysis with application to Arabian Gulf firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 461-477, August.
- Emilio Passetti & Andrea Tenucci & Lino Cinquini & Marco Frey, 2008. "Communicating Intellectual Capital: Evidence from Social and Sustainability Reporting," Working Papers 200805, Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna of Pisa, Istituto di Management.
- Claudiu-Marian Gruian, 2011. "The Influence Of Intellectual Capital On Romanian Companies‘ Financial Performance," Annales Universitatis Apulensis Series Oeconomica, Faculty of Sciences, "1 Decembrie 1918" University, Alba Iulia, vol. 2(13), pages 9.
- Jill Hooks & Natasja Steenkamp & Ross Stewart, 2010. "Interpreting pictorial messages of intellectual capital in company media," Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 7(3), pages 353-378, August.
- Grundstein, Michel & Rosenthal-Sabroux, Camille, 2007. "Transposing a Global Vision of Knowledge Management to a Global Vision of Information Management," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3748, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.