Performance evaluation of extension education centers in universities based on the balanced scorecard
AbstractThis study aims at developing a set of appropriate performance evaluation indices mainly based on balanced scorecard (BSC) for extension education centers in universities by utilizing multiple criteria decision making (MCDM). Through literature reviews and experts who have real practical experiences in extension education, adequate performance evaluation indices have been selected and then utilizing the decision making trial and evaluation laboratory (DEMATEL) and analytic network process (ANP), respectively, further establishes the causality between the four BSC perspectives as well as the relative weights between evaluation indices. According to this previous result, an empirical analysis of the performance evaluation of extension education centers of three universities at Taoyuan County in Taiwan is illustrated by applying VlseKriterijumska Optimizacija I Kompromisno Resenje (VIKOR). From the analysis results, it indicates that "Learning and growth" is the significant influential factor and it would affect the other three perspectives. In addition, it is discovered that "Internal process" perspective as well as "Financial" perspective play important roles in the performance evaluation of extension education centers. The top three key performance indices are "After-sales service", "Turnover volume", and "Net income". The proposed evaluation model could be considered as a reference for extension education centers in universities to prioritize their improvements on the key performance indices after performing VIKOR analyses.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Evaluation and Program Planning.
Volume (Year): 34 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/evalprogplan
Extension education Performance evaluation Balanced scorecard (BSC) Decision making trial and evaluation laboratory (DEMATEL) Analytic network process (ANP) VlseKriterijumska Optimizacija I Kompromisno Resenje (VIKOR);
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zeidner, Moshe & Schleyer, Esther Jane, 1999. "Evaluating the effects of full-time vs part-time educational programs for the gifted: affective outcomes and policy considerations," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 413-427, November.
- P. L. Yu, 1973. "A Class of Solutions for Group Decision Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(8), pages 936-946, April.
- Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung & Lin, Cheng-Wei & Opricovic, Serafim, 2005. "Multi-criteria analysis of alternative-fuel buses for public transportation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(11), pages 1373-1383, July.
- Yoram Wind & Thomas L. Saaty, 1980. "Marketing Applications of the Analytic Hierarchy Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(7), pages 641-658, July.
- Erdogmus, Senol & Kapanoglu, Muzaffer & Koc, Eylem, 2005. "Evaluating high-tech alternatives by using analytic network process with BOCR and multiactors," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 391-399, November.
- Liou, James J.H. & Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung & Chang, Han-Chun, 2007. "Airline safety measurement using a hybrid model," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 243-249.
- Fortuin, Leonard, 1988. "Performance indicators -- Why, where and how?," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-9, February.
- Roberts-Gray, Cynthia & Gingiss, Phyllis M. & Boerm, Melynda, 2007. "Evaluating school capacity to implement new programs," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 247-257, August.
- Park, Timothy A. & Lohr, Luanne, 2007. "Performance evaluation of university extension providers: A frontier approach for ordered response data," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 182(2), pages 899-910, October.
- Opricovic, Serafim & Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung, 2007. "Extended VIKOR method in comparison with outranking methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 514-529, April.
- Gomez, Pedro & Gonzalez, Maria Jose & Gil, Francisco & Lupianez, Jose Luis & Moreno, Maria Francisca & Rico, Luis & Romero, Isabel, 2007. "Assessing the relevance of higher education courses," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 149-160, May.
- Opricovic, Serafim & Tzeng, Gwo-Hshiung, 2004. "Compromise solution by MCDM methods: A comparative analysis of VIKOR and TOPSIS," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(2), pages 445-455, July.
- Tang, Hui-Wen Vivian, 2011. "Optimizing an immersion ESL curriculum using analytic hierarchy process," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 343-352, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.